advertisement

ATC SCM7 mk1 versus mk2

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
What are the sonic differences between these two speakers? I've got mk3s just now and although I'm quite happy with them, I need to put them back on the wall because I presently have to tip-toe past the left speaker whenever I want to pull out a record from the LP storage unit, which sits just to the left of the left speaker and besides, I'm more than a little worried I might accidentally knock the speaker off its stand with my bum one day when I not-so-carefully crouch down to retrieve a record! I'd be happy to stick my mk3s on the Sound Organisation brackets I bought, but they're just a tad too large and too bassy to work well on the wall; the reasons why I put them on stands in the first place.

I've heard mk1s and am happy to agree with this online description, 'Clean and exact sounding, with plenty of detail. slight lack of bass extension though.' If mk2s are similar, they might also do the trick; but if they have more bass extension, then I might as well hold out for mk1s which I know work well in my room straight off the bat.

Fwiw, as both versions are 16cm wide, it looks like I'd need to drill and tap new spike holes on the brackets or place platforms between spikes and speakers, but I'll cross that bridge when the times comes.

TIA,
DJ

I sent ATC an email asking whether mk2 7s have more bass extension than mk1s as it looks like no fishes know the answer - fancy that! :)

Fwiw, here's an old pic from when I had Kans in place (before I moved them onto the wall), although as the ATCs are deeper, they sit forward just a bit more than the speakers shown below and therefore, take up more floor space in the corner; and as indicated earlier, my Loricraft RCM sits on top of the unit instead of the lamp and Beatles box.

IMG_1045_zps941aeb22.jpg

I wish I could give you some info. on the differences, I had MK1's and loved the little buggers, they seemed to like a bit of power behind them, but enjoyed them a great deal until I moved up to the SCM 20-2a's with a CA2 preamp.

Personally I liked the older boxier version better than the new cabinets, but no doubt the new tweeters are a decent bit better. Surprised you haven't gotten any hits from anyone here on this! Hope you can gather more information.

I used ATC SCM7 mk1 on SO wall shelfs mounted to a concrete wall for a few years and they sounded fine to me tonally. I did have them five feet off the ground in a large rec room so YMMV.

I have a home theatre using the same speakers along with the matching C1 center channel speaker and they are a foot or so from the wall. My other pair in my three season porch are just shy of a foot from the wall.

No idea how they compare with the later versions but I don't think the bass/mid driver has changed. My SO wall stands were modified with two new tapped holes that allowed them to be toed in a bit which may have been a factor in them performing well near the wall.

182535D1-F1ED-41B4-B635-1F7A0A07EB72_zpswgpr7xib.jpg

Oh that's very helpful John! Tapping holes to create a toe-in might mean I can stick with the mk3s because I imagine toe-in equals less bass hump. I don't know whether cabinet size matters if the same driver is used in all versions; I suspect greater size equals greater bass presence, but I don't know for sure.

I'll try sitting my mk3s on the brackets with toe-in and if that works, I'll simply tap some holes and hey presto, job done :)

I've already bought M6 spikes and have a tap set, so I'll just use them; but no matter what, I'll have a go at making the mk3s work on the wall because if nothing else, it might take years before I come across a pair of mk1s!

General question: if two identical mid/bass drivers are placed in two slightly different sized cabinets, which one will produce more bass - all else being equal?

In the past I've had both MK1 and MK2 version. I don't know the current MK3. The Mk2 seems a fantastic minimonitor but I feel devotion to the first version, but more demanding electrical level, with a tonal balance and attack closer to the ATC gene, IMO.

cheers.
dm10

In the past I've had both MK1 and MK2 version. I don't know the current MK3. The Mk2 seems a fantastic minimonitor but I feel devotion to the first version, but more demanding electrical level, with a tonal balance and attack closer to the ATC gene, IMO.

cheers.
dm10

Thanks for that dm, I'll stick with my mk3s till I can find a pair of mk1s and will try them out, although I'm pretty confident having heard them already, they'll be more suitable to wall mounting than the mk3s :)

advertisement

Back