advertisement

ATC SCM50ASL in a small room

Whaleblue

Southbound
I'm considering these as a final destination to aim for, having heard their bigger brothers in a large room.

I'm wondering, would these work well in a smallish (but more or less dedicated) room? It's 4.1L x 3.2W x 2.1H (meters). I'm always worried about ported speakers, but assume ATC know what they're doing, and at least the ports are at the front.

I'm likely to have to go down the second hand route, otherwise I'd obviously just get a home dem.

They should be fine if the room is well-behaved, and if they are not, just sell them on. [Or sort the room.]

I am using my SCM100s in a room which is 4.9m x 4.6m x 2.5m (L x W x H), i.e. roughly twice the volume of your room and it works fine to my ears.

You can hear that the speakers are a bit "too big" for the room when you start cranking up the volume to antisocial levels, but as a lowly apartment dweller, I am rarely in a position to do that. If you check out what recording engineers are using on forums like gearslutz.com, you'll notice that they would use 50s in a room like mine and 100s in bigger rooms (sometimes substantially bigger) than what I have, but then they usually listen at higher volumes than I do.

In a room like yours the 50s would be appropriate IMO or perhaps look at the 25s. Or give ATC a call and explain them your situation - they are very helpful and knowledgeable. Bear in mind that ATC are in the process of introducing their own tweeter to the 150s/100s/50s, and it seems that the current models can be retrofitted with it - however I am not sure that the 25s can.

HTH,
Samuel.

If you consider that the SCM50 has a mere 9 inches of woofer and that the port isn't about extending response downwards, is your room really 'small'? I think you should be OK, at least in principle.

Paul

If you want to listen to some active 20s I'll be happy to demo in Yorkshire.

Simon

I'm considering these as a final destination to aim for, having heard their bigger brothers in a large room.

I'm wondering, would these work well in a smallish (but more or less dedicated) room? It's 4.1L x 3.2W x 2.1H (meters). I'm always worried about ported speakers, but assume ATC know what they're doing, and at least the ports are at the front.

I'm likely to have to go down the second hand route, otherwise I'd obviously just get a home dem.

sounds about the same as my room

They'll be fine, although you'll have to put them away from both the back and side walls and toe them in slightly, and experiment a bit with the distances until you get rid of any nasty standing waves.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, 20s in their tower form are also appealing, but if 50s would work I think I really would consider that as the end game as far as speakers are concerned.

What is the bass response like on the 20s compared to the 50s?

Simon, thanks for the kind offer, but I'm in Berkshire.

Cliff, I assume you have 50s in your similarly sized room then?

How far from rear/side walls do you think is necessary?

firing lengthways, I use 2 feet in from the left and 3 feet from the back, but it will depend on the room itself (windows, alcoves etc)

ATC recommend listening pretty much on axis of the midrange unit, or slightly below, which may well imply raising them from the height the supplied stands put them at. This might helpfully get the bass unit away from the floor. Here's the manual.

It's a very small room for use with such a powerful speaker. You will probably get major bass issues and harsh early reflections. Does'nt seem a very 'sympathetic'matching really.
In the end it's about what you can get to work well. But I wouldn't start where you are.......this can only be solved by hearing the speakers in the room. Anything else is a potentially expensive mistake. You could waste quite a bit of money trying to 'guess' what will work. I know it could be difficult to arrange, but an audition is the only way. No amount of advice about specific speakers in an unknown room will help much.

If you are sitting close to the speakers then the effect of first reflections will be ameliorated.
Bass may be a problem, you would just have to try the speakers in your room, experiment with placement ( you and the speakers) and then take the necessary steps should there. e a problem.
Keith.

As one of my pet hates is bloated or boomy bass perhaps I should be looking at 20s then as a more obvious match for my room?

Currently I have SBLs and suffer no obvious issues BTW.

It's a very small room for use with such a powerful speaker. You will probably get major bass issues and harsh early reflections. Does'nt seem a very 'sympathetic'matching really.
In the end it's about what you can get to work well. But I wouldn't start where you are.......this can only be solved by hearing the speakers in the room. Anything else is a potentially expensive mistake. You could waste quite a bit of money trying to 'guess' what will work. I know it could be difficult to arrange, but an audition is the only way. No amount of advice about specific speakers in an unknown room will help much.

Nonsense, mainly. Especially guff about harsh early reflections. He's buying s/h which minimises potential losses. I think they'll be fine.

There's a pair of 50s on eBay, cannot vouch for seller.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=171204215494

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As one of my pet hates is bloated or boomy bass perhaps I should be looking at 20s then as a more obvious match for my room?

Although my previous speakers were in a Naim based system my current ATCs absolutely wipe the floor with all of them.
I can listen to music for hours on end and it never gets tiring like it did before. I also don't have to try to explain to friends where the bass is.

Simon

No problem in my room, other than the usual modal stuff that you'd get with any speaker that can go as low as ATCs. Room is 18' x 16' x 11'. Though I do recommend a bit of bass trapping, as it can help ameliorate any unevenness in the bass and reduce decay times.

I have SCM25As (having previously had 100ASLs) - they are truly superb, and will bring the incredible ATC midrange unit into your life. Superb tight bass, port bungs and bass level adjustment too. Absolutely no boom or bloat whatsoever. And of course incredible midrange. IMO they should definitely be on your list.

Although my previous speakers were in a Naim based system my current ATCs absolutely wipe the floor with all of them.
I can listen to music for hours on end and it never gets tiring like it did before. I also don't have to try to explain to friends where the bass is.

Simon

Simon, which Naim speakers did you have?

And, 20s do a decent level of tight bass?

No problem in my room, other than the usual modal stuff that you'd get with any speaker that can go as low as ATCs. Room is 18' x 16' x 11'. Though I do recommend a bit of bass trapping, as it can help ameliorate any unevenness in the bass and reduce decay times.

Your room is a lot bigger than mine. Although not tiny, my room is certainly quite small for 50s I think, hence the thread :)

advertisement

Back