advertisement

ATC scm 50, Naim 500DR /552 & Audio T's Sofa

Audionet, you must be the first person I have spoken with that owns them. I have been aware of their quality for sometime but they don't stock them in the uk as far as I know.
How would you rate the Watt integrated in terms of power and abilities to drive a quality speaker such as the ATC 50?

They were once represented in the UK by Wilson Benesch (>2012 IIRC) now http://www.fiaudio.co.uk/ are the UK representatives.
Its not a combo I've tired but knowing them both well, i imagine the WATT would drive the 50's without even breaking a sweat.

They were once represented in the UK by Wilson Benesch (>2012 IIRC) now http://www.fiaudio.co.uk/ are the UK representatives.
Its not a combo I've tired but knowing them both well, i imagine the WATT would drive the 50's without even breaking a sweat.
Thanks for the info on Audionet. I will give them a listen sometime when I get to scotland. I have all german electronics from Restek and I believe audio Emotion are a dealer for Restek and as you say ATC. So this would be my perfect audio destination.:)

Last edited:
So I took a trip to Brighton today to get my fix of Jazz cd's and on the way back I thought I would pop into Audio T to ask Julian and John about the latest bearing upgrade for the linn lp12.

Couldn't possibly the same Julian that sold me my LP12 in 1985, when the shop was then called Jeffries Hi-Fi?> If so, WOW!

Interesting to see the report of ATCs working well on Naim 500 gear. Only ever heard them on Olive series and it was not a happy marriage IMHO.
Chord amps were a good match back then, preferred them to the active packs.

I got a sense with this model from perhaps ATC 50 upwards, they need current to create the dynamics they are capable of.
The 552 and 500 all had seperate power supplies as did the streamer, and there was plenty of power available.
What I liked was, upon turning the volume control up in small notches, the dynamics increased, without any unwanted excess noise pressure.

The ATC amp packs have plenty of grunt
I most certainly would want to hear them with their internal active amplification. I am Not sure about their pre/power driving their larger monitors, 50 upwards, but open to giving them a try.
Have you heard any of their combinations driving 50's?

I most certainly would want to hear them with their internal active amplification. I am Not sure about their pre/power driving their larger monitors, 50 upwards, but open to giving them a try.
Have you heard any of their combinations driving 50's?
I have active 40s at home, they replaced nap250 driving SBLs. Personally I would only buy active ATCs as they make more sense financially. Active 150s are cracking value when you consider how much you would need to spend for conventional power/speaker combo. If I had a bigger room I would be saving hard for them!

£23,000 isn't what 99.9% of the human race would call 'cracking value' - IMHO!! .... on a pair of speakers the size of two upright fridge-freezers. Maybe a nice car or bike, yes.
Compared to running them with 3 x power amp of your choice & all the attendant ancillaries, yes. Cost of car or bike is irrelevant.

Many people will spend circa £5k on a family holiday, value is wholly subjective in the eye of the spender.

I think the 150ASL Classic is in the area of £17k? Not cheap, but much cheaper than £23k.

Personally I think the Classics look better (or less ugly CK) and are a good bet unless you want Anni amps.

advertisement

Back