advertisement

ATC or Dynaudio with Naim amps

ATC or Dynaudio with Naim amps

• Total voters

ryder

pfm Member
Creating a poll to see whether more people prefer ATC or Dynaudio speakers with Naim amplification. It does not necessarily need to be the models that were listed but those were the ones I'm looking at, the SCM11/19 and Special 40.

Looking at speakers which can deliver rock or music with large dynamic swings at low to moderate volume levels. Only interested in bookshelves.

To be more specific, the bass must be taut and tight and have the speed, punch and slam. The plucking of strings especially electric guitars must have the raw energy and sound like the real thing. If it doesn't sound like the real thing, it must still sound close to the real thing and music should still have the raw energy and excitement rather than sounding smooth and dull.

you suggest 6.5 inch based speakers. and you ask for slam and punch????

get tannoy new eaton, or get big speakers if you want punch bass

From your description, I'd avoid speakers that use plastic drivers. Atc are well known for not sounding their best at low volumes.

The Tannoy suggestion is a good one because they are known for sounding very good at low volumes.

Dynaudio’s like to be played loud and need plenty of space to avoid fat overblown bass.
I believe atc also like to play loud so i would look at other options.
Both sound good with naim though!

Looking at speakers which can deliver rock or music with large dynamic swings at low to moderate volume levels. Only interested in bookshelves.
To be more specific, the bass must be taut and tight and have the speed, punch and slam. The plucking of strings especially electric guitars must have the raw energy and sound like the real thing. If it doesn't sound like the real thing, it must still sound close to the real thing and music should still have the raw energy and excitement rather than sounding smooth and dull.

You want tight bass with punch and slam that has the raw energy of and sounds like the real thing, at low listening levels from a bookshelf speaker. Not possible.

From your description, I'd avoid speakers that use plastic drivers. Atc are well known for not sounding their best at low volumes.

The Tannoy suggestion is a good one because they are known for sounding very good at low volumes.
I’d disagree.. the mk2 11’s are fine at low levels but agree the 19’s are less so . But like most speakers they do come more alive at a certain vol but that’s not massively loud.

I’d disagree.. the mk2 11’s are fine at low levels but agree the 19’s are less so . But like most speakers they do come more alive at a certain vol but that’s not massively loud.

I've not heard the 11s, just going by what I've read on various hifi forums over the years. I can't imagine even the best ATC would come anywhere near a good Tannoy for low level listening.

you suggest 6.5 inch based speakers. and you ask for slam and punch????

get tannoy new eaton, or get big speakers if you want punch bass

amen to that , the eaton are class and they play well at low voumes , and they go well near walls if you have to

Creating a poll to see whether more people prefer ATC or Dynaudio speakers with Naim amplification. It does not necessarily need to be the models that were listed but those were the ones I'm looking at, the SCM11/19 and Special 40.

Try JBL 4312's or L100 Classics.. If you can get over the fact that it says on the front 'JBL,Northridge, CA USA' but that JBL is now owned by Samsung and are made in Indonesia.

Just demoed the 19's the other day.

They have some snap, but not any real punch. If you listen to jazz, dance, or anything with bass, you will be disappointed.

I had average expectations, and they missed the mark.

I'm trying some guru10's if they don't work, harbeth 30 is the one. Just didn't want to spend up.

Creating a poll to see whether more people prefer ATC or Dynaudio speakers with Naim amplification. ...Only interested in bookshelves.

My experience Dynaudio need lots of space around them, need placement out in room

ATC will work closer to wall

Rather than creating a somehow meaningless vote poll, perhaps you could advise what room and source intended ?
I recall you have a 200 or 250.2 based amplication
(Selling the lot and make room for active ATC50 - if these count for "bookshelfs" - might meet your demand for slam, punch and raw energy)

Atc 19 with no punch! When I had 19’s they were driven by atc amp and they had punch, bass and did everything very very well. I would think that the 19 is showing up the amp a bit as they need current.

So I have some great news.... for me, and it can help you. I needed bookshelf that could literally go on a bookshelf because of some design changes. I demoed the following:

B&W 805
Ariel 5T
Falcon ls5/3
Spendor classic 3/1
Harbeth p3esr
Harbeth 30.1 anniversary
ATC scm19

Best were the Harbeth 30.1, although also the most expensive. Somebody on another forum said to check out Guru Audio Q10. Well, after much back and forth with the owner, and not wanting to spend the money on the Harbeth if I didn't have to... I decided to give them a try. Since in the US, they only sell direct here. They offered me free shipping both ways in case I didn't like them.

Well I've had them for one day, and so far I am shocked!! They have bass well beyond their size. Jazz, Hip-Hop, Reggae, all sound big and full. It's only been one day, but they are already great. I'll update more in a few days after they break in more.

The Special 40 are surprisingly good considering their size but sound their best at high volumes.

Monitor Audio PL100 II are significantly better IME and if properly driven could give you all that you're looking for.

Good luck with your choice!

advertisement

Back