advertisement

ATC CA2 topless?

dat19

Anyone successfully removed the top from an ATC CA2 pre-amp. I have one with a dodgy headphone socket (perhaps), but I can't get insode the damn case. I've removed the 6 allen screws from the base, but the top doesn't slide off. It appears to be glued?

ANyone know what I'm missing?

[Also posted on zerogain to save anyone pointing this out :)]

Mine isn't glued. That information probably doesn't help you much, but I just remove the 6 screws on the base and the lid slides off.

-- Ian

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Mine isn't glued. That information probably doesn't help you much, but I just remove the 6 screws on the base and the lid slides off.

Ah, but your information did help, it sent me back to try again, seeing as I knew it should now slide off..

So, I undid the 6 allen screws and then ran some paper between the edge to test where it was free. Sure enough, a piece of "double sided sticky" rubber absorbtion material. At the back of the case this was easy enough to cut by wedging a craft knife between both parts of the case. I couldn't use this trick at the front because the front panel is in the way. So, I had to put the CA2 on the rug and keep pulling until the shear force tore the rubber!!

I suspect that ATC have since removed/redesigned this double sided sticky thing because servicing the amp would be a pain (I'm not sure how they assembled the thing given that that top slides on..)

Oh, and it looks like I'll be calling ATC for the circuit diagram This doesn't appear to be a connector problem.

It seems there are a few ATC CA2 pre amp users here. I bought a used one in September. There was something rattling inside, so I had to open the amp to have a look. By undoing the 6 cap head screws, the cover came off easily. I found a nut and a washer lying inside the case. They are from a transistor/heatsink near the middle. I didn't have any problem even when the transistor wasn't attached to the heat sink properly.

Regards
Hon

advertisement

Back