advertisement

AT33 PTG and PTG/II compared to Rega MC cartridges...?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all. I'm away from home for a bit so no access to my system, but a little daft idea has taken hold and I wanted to see if anyone can help.

I've a P8 with an Apheta 2 cartridge. I also have a near mint AT33 PTG that I used before I bought the P8 (which came with the Apheta). I thought the AT33 PTG a great cartridge, but have never tried it on the P8. Since I am never one to mess with such delicate things without a good reason, I still don't know if the PTG might be a good match for the P8, and wanted to gauge whether it's worth trying (bearing in mind the risk of breaking a cartridge wire or something).

I think the Apheta 2 is very good, but I can't help wondering if I might prefer the PTG. Has anyone here compared AT33 family cartridges against Rega MC cartridges on a P8 or P10? What sort of differences could I expect (in terms of detail, balance, tracking, surface noise etc.)? And would I need shims to use the PTG on the Rega's RB808 arm?

Like I said, all theoretical as I'm holed up at my father's place whilst he recovers from a hospital stay.... not a great time.

I'd just wait until the Apheta is worn out. I reckon the AT33 will better the Rega offering, they are really good carts, I love mine.

Reactions: JTC
AT really punch above their weight, I owned an AT33 and it was superb, I only sold it as I ended up keeping only one TT.

My next cart will probably be the OC9XSL.

I only compared the 33PTG against a regular Ania, but IMO it was quite a bit better. I tried to settle for for an MC lower down the AT food chain, but ended up with another 33PTG when it needed to be replaced - I don't think it can be beaten for the price.

I've used either an AT33 PTG or AT33 PTG/II for 16 years.

I previously used an Ortofon MC25FL and have dabbled with shibata carts costing more than the AT33 PTG. None sounded as uniformly good as the AT33 PTG.

YMMV

Hey all. I'm away from home for a bit so no access to my system, but a little daft idea has taken hold and I wanted to see if anyone can help.

I've a P8 with an Apheta 2 cartridge. I also have a near mint AT33 PTG that I used before I bought the P8 (which came with the Apheta). I thought the AT33 PTG a great cartridge, but have never tried it on the P8. Since I am never one to mess with such delicate things without a good reason, I still don't know if the PTG might be a good match for the P8, and wanted to gauge whether it's worth trying (bearing in mind the risk of breaking a cartridge wire or something).

I think the Apheta 2 is very good, but I can't help wondering if I might prefer the PTG. Has anyone here compared AT33 family cartridges against Rega MC cartridges on a P8 or P10? What sort of differences could I expect (in terms of detail, balance, tracking, surface noise etc.)? And would I need shims to use the PTG on the Rega's RB808 arm?

Like I said, all theoretical as I'm holed up at my father's place whilst he recovers from a hospital stay.... not a great time.
I used an AT33 EV on an Rb300 a few years ago . I really rated it.

Thanks all. Do any of you know how the AT33 compares in terms of geometry etc. to the Rega cartridges? Just want to figure out whether I need any VTF adjustment and also how close to the Rega mounts the AT33 is likely to be. I'm tempted to swap them once home but no point unless I set the AT33 up perfectly....

I use an AT33 PTG/ii and a shibata equivalent on an RP6. I use (sometimes) a 2mm shim. Can I hear a difference? Wouldn't put any money on it. Cartridge works fine on the arm, no issues otherwise.

Reactions: JTC
Thanks all. Do any of you know how the AT33 compares in terms of geometry etc. to the Rega cartridges? Just want to figure out whether I need any VTF adjustment and also how close to the Rega mounts the AT33 is likely to be. I'm tempted to swap them once home but no point unless I set the AT33 up perfectly....
Used an AT33 PTG on a modified RB250 for years. My armboard had a collar which allowed for adjustable VTF, though. I can't remember if I had to tweak it or if it was set at null, though.

AT carts are taller than Rega carts. a 2mm shim should be about right but to be honest, I don't think you need it. I've tried messing with spacers to suit different carts and the difference is slight. About the same as you'll get from slight tracking weight adjustments.

Shibata tips are fussier than most about all things alignment but just avoid them and you're golden.

The AT33 is 16mm high (here). Rega cartridges are 14mm high. A 2mm shim with the AT would match the VTA of a Rega cartridge without a shim, but you may not be able to hear the difference.

Shibata tips are fussier than most about all things alignment but just avoid them and you're golden.
When I ran G1042 I found it rather fussy with VTA, - great cartridge otherwise, that much I'll consider a 1012 or 1022 stylus next.
I recall Goldring used Gyger stylus tips on some of these cartridges.
Linn Adikt should be a 1012 or 1022 in disguise.

Ok, so I swapped the AT33 in and so far, all good. Bit fiddlier to fit than the Apheta 2 but I managed. Think I got the alignment (based on the Rega card) right first time, and running 1.95g and getting decent sounds. Far too early to make the call on whether it's 'better' than the Apheta 2 but it's definitely not obviously 'worse'.

Didn't get much time to listen last night due to having to help my son with some homework, so hoping to get some listening in today. Even without that listening, though, I am getting a kick out of not having to deal with that woefully bad stylus guard thing on the Apheta 2. A truly horrible design, which fortunately I don't have to deal with on the PTG (which has a conventional guard).

Even without that listening, though, I am getting a kick out of not having to deal with that woefully bad stylus guard thing on the Apheta 2. A truly horrible design, which fortunately I don't have to deal with on the PTG (which has a conventional guard).
I view stylus guards as something to protect the cantilever during transit and fitting but not something for daily use. Whatever the design, just fitting it is risky when it shouldn't be needed. It's not something I understand. "I bought a turntable with no lid despite having cats and now my expensive cartridge is broken" Well.....duh!

I do have cats, dogs, kids, and the design of the P8 is such that even with the cover on the stylus is very vulnerable.

advertisement

Back