advertisement

Astell & Kern SR35 - any users here?

Chris Tarling

Yellow Hound
Toying with the idea of getting one.
Am I correct in thinking it's only worth it if I can keep it fed with high resolution content?

I can't comment on the SR35 but I do have the SR25 and sounds great with standard 16/44 content and hi-res content. The only bottleneck for me is its 3.5mm single-ended h/p output. The 2.5mm balanced headphone output sounds FAR superior to my ears and is what I use exclusively. (If I want to use single-ended headphones I reach for my iPod touch).

I can't comment on the SR35 but I do have the SR25 and sounds great with standard 16/44 content and hi-res content. The only bottleneck for me is its 3.5mm single-ended h/p output. The 2.5mm balanced headphone output sounds FAR superior to my ears and is what I use exclusively. (If I want to use single-ended headphones I reach for my iPod touch).
Thanks!
What 'phones are you using (out of interest!)?

I have the SR25, I looked into the Mk2 and eyed up the 35 but neither appear to have addressed the UX/Speed, compared to an iPhone/Samsung I find it very slow and the touch screen frustratingly hit and miss whether it reacts.

Sound quality cannot fault it, hence sticking with it.

IEMs used are mainly Campfire Polaris but those cheapo ZS10 off Amazon are surprisingly good real bargains.

Thanks!
What 'phones are you using (out of interest!)?
Mainly Sennheiser HD600 but also HD58X, HD650, HD660S, HD800S and Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000. The 3.5mm single-ended h/p out is too warm and shut-in for my liking. The 2.5mm balanced h/p output really opens up the soundstage and delivers a more spacious and detailed presentation with a firmer and grippier bottom end, it genuinely holds its own against a decent desktop headphone amp and DAC.

FWIW I'm exclusively an over-ear headphone user as frustratingly I cannot manage to insert IEMs due to my cerebral palsy. I also don't own many closed-back headphones as I prefer the sound of open-backs, so I'm not the typical example of an on-the-go listener!

Last edited:
Mainly Sennheiser HD600 but also HD58X, HD650, HD660S, HD800S and Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000. The 3.5mm single-ended h/p out is too warm and shut-in for my liking. The 2.5mm balanced h/p output really opens up the soundstage and delivers a more spacious and detailed presentation with a firmer and grippier bottom end, it genuinely holds its on against a decent desktop headphone amp and DAC.

FWIW I'm exclusively an over-ear headphone user as frustratingly I cannot manage to insert IEMs due to my cerebral palsy. I also don't own many closed-back headphones as I prefer the sound of open-backs, so I'm not the typical example of an on-the-go listener!
Agree about the 2.5mm balanced being the best way to connect.

Toying with the idea of getting one.
Am I correct in thinking it's only worth it if I can keep it fed with high resolution content?

I am on my 3rd AK DAP starting at bottom then Kanin and now SP2000T and each one a definite upgrade, the first two were second hand and no problems great bits of kit, used Campfire Audio Solitaire IEM

Thank you for all your thoughts.
I got my SR35 a couple of weeks ago and am enjoying it so far.
Using it with a pair of FiiO FH3 IEMs.

Hi Chris

How are you getting on with the SR35? They've been popular since their launch here - I recently started using HDTracks (as well as Qobuz when I wanted to purchase content).
I have a Kann Max as the daily driver ( :D ) but have been listening to the new R2R SE300 in store which I am in love with.

I took the SR35 to London on a jolly 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at the battery life. I am running Meze Advar with mine at the mo.

Hi Chris

How are you getting on with the SR35? They've been popular since their launch here - I recently started using HDTracks (as well as Qobuz when I wanted to purchase content).
I have a Kann Max as the daily driver ( :D ) but have been listening to the new R2R SE300 in store which I am in love with.

I took the SR35 to London on a jolly 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at the battery life. I am running Meze Advar with mine at the mo.

I am enjoying mine enormously. Jus as long as my wife doesn't find out I bought it.

advertisement

Back