advertisement

ASR Review of Naim Uniti Atom

I'm not sure that the target market care that much about measured performance. It's obvious that the Naim of today is very different from the Naim of the Eighties but that does not make it a bad company.

Tim

I'm rather surprised, I expected it to be well above average with excellent measurements. Surely Naim put this on a test rig to check competence of performance?

I guess it's a lifestyle product, the look being all.

I have a feeling ASR will eventually slay most of our cherished dragons. So be it.

Good post... Thanks!

I'm rather surprised, I expected it to be well above average with excellent measurements. Surely Naim put this on a test rig to check competence of performance?

I guess it's a lifestyle product, the look being all.

I have a feeling ASR will eventually slay most of our cherished dragons. So be it.

Good post... Thanks!
God knows how my Rotel 965BX measures.

The bigger questions is always,
‘Can I hear the differences in those measurements?’
Though I admire the his nerdy obsession with measurements there is an anal quality to it. As I said before, much of my vintage gear would probably drown in comparison to the Toppings etc of the day, but I just hear music, finely executed and as involving as it should be. It really depends what you value most.

I often feel differences are often exaggerated by some on PFM. The fuse that gave a night and day difference, the extra high resolution of downloads that make an obvious improvement, the racks that drop the noise floor, the Ethernet cable that just makes so much difference. I think as hi-fi lovers, we can fall victim to these exaggerations. Since re jigging the hifi I’ve eschewed the highly priced cables and have just exchanged similar priced vintage gear until I have gotten to the sound I like. It happened when I hit on the A&R T21 tuner after trying a Creek and Denon. Upgrading can go out of control, and you can frequently hit greater problems on route. I really enjoy what I hear now. I look forward turning it all on in the morning, much more than I ever have done.

I have to admit I'm prone to hyperbole, if I hear an improvement, I simply can't unhear it, no matter how small it might me. Night and day from then on.

The same applies to a downgrade in any aspect of the sound... I simply can't get over it.

If it's a neutral change (which is very rare) then the aesthetics become uber important.

advertisement

Back