advertisement

Asking for a friend - mains leads suggestions...

Ironically, I today decided to remove all my mains stuff (Russ Andrews 5m yello from wall to extension, then from extension to system, just to make sure I wasn't delusional, I was hoping & preying to come back here & state it all sounded much worse when removed & replaced with my bog standard 4 way extension with standard 5m cable, unfortunately, the sound certainly did change, considerably, but for the better, I replaced it all back & the sound became quite dull & slow by comparison, now I know you will be saying, all in yer head, see a doctor, but no, i'm afraid not, not subtle, not this time around, the sound has been great with tracks I felt had lost some sparkle of late.

They will not be returning anytime soon, bog standard for me from here on in.

So to the OP, make sure you can try before you buy or at least second hand with no loss if you decide to sell them on.

This may explain what you are hearing
https://www.whathifi.com/russ-andrews/yello/review

I buy Mark Grant cables for everything. They are well made, reasonably priced and look nice. Some I bought new, others I bought s/h on eBay. Also, this frees up a kettle lead if I sell anything.

Cable technology can hardly move forward so I doubt it as they gave the same cable an award a few years back, whathifi reviews are very inconsistent.

especially from a dodgy source like ragaman..
Hey now :D
Your spelling needs some improvement

Your welcome to pick holes in the piece if you wish.

"
Answer 3:

Light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light. Part of the reason is that light is massless; it has no weight, whereas the electricity flowing in the wires is made up of a stream of electrons, all of which have some small amount of weight. In addition, the electrons flowing through the wires constantly bump into the atoms of the wire, which slows them down considerably. If you were to take the electrons out of the wire and make them flow through space (which is essentially what you do when you make a spark), they can move faster, but no matter what, they cannot move as fast light"

Classic line BTW, don't believe everything you read on the internet, could not agree more though this seems to make perfect sense.

BTW, can you please remove the dodgy remark.
Joking aside, I buy & sell here sometimes, some may not believe what they read on the internet, some do. One thing I am not when dealing with people here on a personal level is dodgy.

If you knew anything about electronics, such as how power supplies work etc, it would be obvious to you that expecting mains cables to make any difference was as ridiculous as the concept of square wheels. I can assure that if you hear any difference between them at all it is purely down to wishful thinking. You, like every "cable believer", have been conned by mags, dealers etc into "seeing the emperors new clothes" and yes I'm well aware that nothing I say will change your mind.... but it is impossible for a mains cable to make any difference whatsoever under any circumstance.

Has it occured to you to question why it should (allegedly) be the bit of cable which conveniently you can simply plug/unplug at each end with no need to solder or risk electric shock, and therefore it can conveniently be sold to the public as an accessory, that should be the magic bit?

Actually it's the bit between the IEC socket and the circuit board that has a huge effect and I will retrofit an approved cable to any amplifier for only £300 and include a handful of magic beans:D

Of course separate line for audio will make biggest difference but this only proves the point that power cables do matter. Thank you for that.

I understand you know electronics from larger perspective. But how much do you know about electronics from quantum mechanics perspective? Richard Faynman said once, only 6 people understand quantum mechanics, and they are all dead.

For your information. I have 3 different power cables at home. And you know what? They all sound different. Should I believe you or should I believe what I can hear during testing? Have you ever tested any good power cables in semi decent system?

Hey now :D
Your spelling needs some improvement

Your welcome to pick holes in the piece if you wish.

"
Answer 3:

Light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light. Part of the reason is that light is massless; it has no weight, whereas the electricity flowing in the wires is made up of a stream of electrons, all of which have some small amount of weight. In addition, the electrons flowing through the wires constantly bump into the atoms of the wire, which slows them down considerably. If you were to take the electrons out of the wire and make them flow through space (which is essentially what you do when you make a spark), they can move faster, but no matter what, they cannot move as fast light"

Classic line BTW, don't believe everything you read on the internet, could not agree more though this seems to make perfect sense.

BTW, can you please remove the dodgy remark.
Joking aside, I buy & sell here sometimes, some may not believe what they read on the internet, some do. One thing I am not when dealing with people here on a personal level is dodgy.
With respect, you’ve slightly misinterpreted what you read. DC (direct current) flows through a wire relatively (to the speed of light) slowly (ie about 1%) because the electrons that make up the current flow have mass. AC propagates by way of the electromagnetic field caused by the rapidly vibrating electrons in the cable. EM fields have no mass so the current propagates much faster. The actual speed depends on the type of dielectric (the insulation) surrounding the wire, so is actually anything between 50% and 99% the speed of light. There is more about this in a quite good Wikipedia article titled “Speed of Light” if you are interested.

Of course separate line for audio will make biggest difference but this only proves the point that power cables do matter. Thank you for that.

I understand you know electronics from larger perspective. But how much do you know about electronics from quantum mechanics perspective? Richard Faynman said once, only 6 people understand quantum mechanics, and they are all dead.

For your information. I have 3 different power cables at home. And you know what? They all sound different. Should I believe you or should I believe what I can hear during testing? Have you ever tested any good power cables in semi decent system?
Thank goodness my system is indecent in your opinion.

With respect, you’ve slightly misinterpreted what you read. DC (direct current) flows through a wire relatively (to the speed of light) slowly (ie about 1%) because the electrons that make up the current flow have mass. AC propagates by way of the electromagnetic field caused by the rapidly vibrating electrons in the cable. EM fields have no mass so the current propagates much faster. The actual speed depends on the type of dielectric (the insulation) surrounding the wire, so is actually anything between 50% and 99% the speed of light. There is more about this in a quite good Wikipedia article titled “Speed of Light” if you are interested.
Interesting, nice to receive a sensible response without the angst, thanks.
I was beginning to wonder if this were possible of late.

Bored with spending ten minutes a piece and pennies 'upgrading' cheap phonostages, I thought I'd spare you all a bit of my time to tell you idiots the facts, the laws of physics blah de blah. Amazing how my God like genius gets me binned from one Forum and I move to another and my wonderful, friendly attitude and delightful repartee with the masses is met with approval:). My 2.5K Shunyata boils my kettle but sounds just the same as the 30 pence Chinese crap it came with, possibly?

he refuses to test the effect of such a cable on an amp so what do you think.

Well, as I said in the other mains cable thread, I have and I could not hear any difference between an allegedly superior cable and bog standard leads. Moreover, someone in that thread posted an article describing a blind A/B/X test of different mains cables that involved a panel of listeners. The conclusion was that they heard no difference.

I don't however doubt that those who say they have heard a difference between cables have done so, but it would seem to me that the cause of this has nothing to do with the cable's properties.

I am sure that we have all sat down to listen to some music and have felt that something sounds off, or that we have not been able to connect with the piece in question in the usual way. I have also, equally often, sat down to listen to a piece and found the sound to be exquisite and the emotional involvement to be greater than usual. Yet the electronics and environmental conditions haven't changed. Why is this so? I think that it's all down to the listener's emotional state at the moment they sit down.

In my opinion, I think that the reason why people hear a difference between mains cables is similar and down to the influence the act of changing a cable has on the emotional state of the person making the change. Some might start out feeling out of sorts and thus disliking the original set up, but might lighten up in the expectation of an improvement from a cable swap and will therefore hear one. This, in turn, will induce an even better frame of mind and, as a result, further reinforce the perception of an improvement. Having put the new cable in, it will stay there for fear of causing a drop in performance. It doesn't matter whether the new cable is a foo cable or a standard cable replacing the foo cable, what matters is the changing emotional state of the cable swapping listener.

That's my theory anyway. It does at least have the advantage of consistency with what we know about the physics and the observations of listeners.

Sorry, but did you ever tested different power cables in good hifi system?

Yes, on more than one occassion.

There was no difference between a £500 cable and a kettle lead.
I use kettle leads in my system, no one who has ever listened to it has ever asked about mains cables.

Do a blind test on different leads, if you can do better than chance in identifying a kettle lead from an expensive cable then you will be the first.

So where is the problem? You are lucky. You will save a lot of monies. I am actually jelaous...

And remember 500£ does not say if cable is good. It only means someone sold it to you for 500. I have cables made by two different guys who know what they doing. Handmade with knowladge and experience with schuko plugs, so no fuses. And only one power cable with british plug, for wall connection.

I understand you know electronics from larger perspective. But how much do you know about electronics from quantum mechanics perspective?
He doesn't know anything about electronics coated in custard either, do you think that he should?

It's funny how people with knowledge of physics and electronics, including those who have an understanding of quantum physics, never imagine that power cables can make a difference beyond ensuring that they are adequate or offer any possible explanations why they might. All the cable adherents are salesmen or people who have bought them and believe that they can hear a differemce.

advertisement

Back