advertisement

Asking for a friend - mains leads suggestions...

Your mate needs to come to me. For £50 a cable I will select some that have the desired electrical and physical characteristics to ensure that he gets the very best out of his music. I guarantee that the cables I supply will have every bit the performance of more expensive ones, and for only £50 each. How many does he want?

Really? Please engage your feeble mind and find where I say faulty cables are impossible...

It's difficult for my feeble mind to engage with such Engineering Caliber as yours.

Perhaps AndrewM is just unlucky and got two faulty cheap as chips power cables.

I'd assume the cheap as chip power cables that you include in the "state of the art" products that you sell are perfect for function in every way possible!

It's difficult for my feeble mind to engage with such Engineering Caliber as yours.

Perhaps AndrewM is just unlucky and got two faulty cheap as chips power cables.

I'd assume the cheap as chip power cables that you include in the "state of the art" products that you sell are perfect for function in every way possible!

i doubt you could engage yours with a Hamster without giving it a severe superiority complex.

I don't include power leads with my products. Many have captive mains leads just to foil the foo meisters :p

i doubt you could engage yours with a Hamster without giving it a severe superiority complex.

I don't include power leads with my products. Many have captive mains leads just to foil the foo meisters :p

Yes, the hamster I have at home thinks I'm an untermensch!

So the exporting business to Continental Europe is a bit slow, eh?

BTW watching someone of your "caliber" trying to insult me is kind of flattering or, at least, amusing. Cheers!

Yes, the hamster I have at home thinks I'm an untermensch!

So the exporting business to Continental Europe is a bit slow, eh?

BTW watching someone of your "caliber" trying to insult me is kind of flattering or, at least, amusing. Cheers!

Your hamster has sound judgement, with which I'm in complete agreement.

Well yes, but I’d rather not take the risk of them bursting into flames before I discover they are faulty. I’m only proposing spending a few quid extra for decent connectors etc, not going berserk.

Assuming of course the IEC lead is at fault and not the receptacle in the kit.

I think mains cable believers need to seriously think about changing these also.

Only £ 80 each, though there is no switch or fuse included.

https://www.douglasconnection.com/Furutech-FI-33-20A-IEC-AC-Inlet-FUFI33IEC.htm

After all how can an upgraded cable perform to it's full ability without the matching receptacle ?

Just tell your mate that there are many people who have spent years in hifi and now have >£50K systems who quite happily use kettle leads as they are as good as anything else out there.

He is of course free to ignore that advice and just be a media and advertising victim and pay what ever he likes.
I do wonder on what basis he has decided that £50 is what he needs to spend and what he expects for his money?

A shielded cable, with a non moulded plug, and braiding to protect it from abrasion is as far as I will ever need to go. He could probably do his whole system for £50, if he DIY'ed them, and isn't bothered by brands.

Cheap as chips cables should be avoided.
The shiny brass pins will not be brass, they will be some awful gold spray stuff which looks nice but has poor conductivity. The screws which hold the wires in will be some awful cheap cast metal detrius which will fall apart when tightened. The fuse holder also will be some scrap heap junk which doesn't clamp the fuse strongly.
Anyone who buys cheap electrical components for their hifi are mistaken in thinking all parts are equal. There's been some good suggestions on here for quality cables, money well spent.

At the other extreme from chips cheap goods I tried a credible sound improving cable from a certain Mains Cable vendor. The damn IEC plug was so amazing it split open the IEC socket of my amp. Ended up with a repair bill far greater than the cable cost.

I still have it. For cost of postage you could let your friend learn a lesson.

one thing everyone forgets is the weight of these cables this puts stress on the cable on both ends of the connection ,which could cause intermittent poor connection and maybe arcing

Hi.i use blue cord leads well made and screened and the plug going to amp etc gets a great grip as the rubber is soft.also have a supra lo rad very flexible regards charlie

I’ve sent him a link to some decent looking cables on eBay. I’ll wait for him to get back to me once he’s installed them.

Cheers!

Everybody knows that size matters. It's a scientific fact.

b4d94a9e6684224ad8a30441b4a326f027362965.png

advertisement

Back