advertisement

Asked for new tyres, was sold defective ones - advice please

Jimin

pfm Member
Hi all

MOT was booked in today, needed two new fronts. Had them put on, car was driven home (3 miles) then to the MOT station and back (another 3 miles). Lo and behold, tyres were marked as 'Worn close to legal limit/worn on edge', (Worn on edge heavily).

Obviously I'll be in touch with the tyre bandits in the morning. Does anyone know where I stand legally, consumer rights etc? I've tried Googling but can't find anything particularly relevant. I did pay by credit card.

Thanks in advance, wonderful PFM massive

You're covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015

Any product or service, physical or digital, bought online or in store must meet the following standards:
  1. Satisfactory quality – your goods shouldn’t be faulty or damaged, and of at least satisfactory quality. For example, second-hand goods aren’t held to the same standards as new.
  2. Fit for purpose – you should be able to use it for the purpose they were supplied for.
  3. As described – your goods or service must match the description, model or sample shown when you bought it.

Presuming the tyres were sold as "new", then first bold applies. New tyres should not fail an MOT
Again presuming the tyres were sold as "new", then clearly the second bold has been breached.

You're covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015

Any product or service, physical or digital, bought online or in store must meet the following standards:
  1. Satisfactory quality – your goods shouldn’t be faulty or damaged, and of at least satisfactory quality. For example, second-hand goods aren’t held to the same standards as new.
  2. Fit for purpose – you should be able to use it for the purpose they were supplied for.
  3. As described – your goods or service must match the description, model or sample shown when you bought it.

Presuming the tyres were sold as "new", then first bold applies. New tyres would not fail an MOT
Again presuming the tyres were sold as "new", then clearly the second bold has been breached.
Nice one, thanks. It didn’t fail the MOT but the tyres were mentioned as advisory

Whenever i've had tyres changes, it's pretty bloody obvious that they are new - they have little nobbly bits still on them, they squeak when you leave the fitter, and smell obviously of fresh rubber. Oh, and tyres have a manufacture date on the sidewall I think? So, i'd have thought you can first of all confirm that they are decent. The MOT place may have made a mistake of course, is it possible it's their mistake not the fitters?

Whenever i've had tyres changes, it's pretty bloody obvious that they are new - they have little nobbly bits still on them, they squeak when you leave the fitter, and smell obviously of fresh rubber. Oh, and tyres have a manufacture date on the sidewall I think? So, i'd have thought you can first of all confirm that they are decent. The MOT place may have made a mistake of course, is it possible it's their mistake not the fitters?
Yeah in retorospect I should have had a butchers (and a sniff!) but it was bl@@dy freezing and they’d been recommended so I just took off.

Just you!

I would be going back and demanding a brand new pair! What a stupid thing to do! I would be sure that the advisories aren’t for the rears first though.

advertisement

Back