advertisement

Artists that should stop

I found that if he was too lazy to pick up his Nobel prize himself, he might just as well stay home for good and enjoy his newly won 300 million or whatever.

His friendship with Pattie Smith must be very strong and genuine, as more or less everyone else would have answered his demand with a clear go **** yourself.

The good thing about the incident was the magical interpretation of ’A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall’ in Oslo that day.
Certainly no understanding of Dylan then, otherwise there would be no need to misinterpret his ambivilance to that award.

Was at Glastonbury in 2004 and while it was nice to be sung to by a Beatle he milked it for all it was worth, holding his hands up for praise long long long after all the appalause had died down.
The big firework display for 'Live and let die' a suitable hi point ending? no, done at 3/4 of the way through to tie in with the live BBC link never mind the present Glastonbury crowd.
All a bit to cynical for me, cant believe age has changed him.
Twas there for that too. Not a bad gig but I was so far away my gash eyesight didn't allow me to see that much detail!

Fireworks were ace though! The weather? Not so much...

Certainly no understanding of Dylan then, otherwise there would be no need to misinterpret his ambivilance to that award.
Did Dylan ever express any ambivalence to the Nobel Prize ? Back then he just remained silent, giving a strong impression that he simply didn’t give a damn.

Sam Brown.
I've not even started (barring a poem I won the competition at school for, and another that got published)...

You'll be pleased to know I've got writer's block...

If you're on about the musician DB though, I heard 'Touch the flames' once and wasn't that taken with it...

I think a lot of the "still delivering the goods" musical artists are those who gave the industry the middle finger early on and decided to work at their own pace.
That's an interesting point. It's made me think about Billy Childish who seems to think nothing of putting out ten albums in a year. I don't know if you could really say there's been a progression musically over the decades - though I think his work has become conceptually more realised - but they're mostly always great and long may he continue cranking them out.

It is depressing just how few elderly pop/rock artists produce anything of note late in life. A far lower success rate to other arts and musical genres. The exceptions are so rare one tends to notice.

This.

Though do get why they carry on, but there are a few singers/songwriters, they just basically dry up artistically which is shame- stupid getting old.:(

That said David Crosby's work shortly before his death was supposed to superb and a real return to form....

My two favourite bands YES and Jethro Tull have become poor tribute bands, seen both when past their sell by date. Let's hope we've seen the last of Genesis also, what with Phil Collins in a wheelchair!

I took it as arguing that, as artists, they should have enough self awareness and critical faculty to judge when their output is falling below the standard they would set for themselves, and decide to quit for the sake of their dignity and to preserve their reputation.
You've repeated "should" though. Are we telling them what to think? One can be disappointed in an artist's output or even behaviour but that does not confer a right to tell them when to stop.

Was at Glastonbury in 2004 and while it was nice to be sung to by a Beatle he milked it for all it was worth, holding his hands up for praise long long long after all the appalause had died down.
The big firework display for 'Live and let die' a suitable hi point ending? no, done at 3/4 of the way through to tie in with the live BBC link never mind the present Glastonbury crowd.
All a bit to cynical for me, cant believe age has changed him.

Imo he's been doing that for at least 50 years; i think that evening we chose Basement Jaxx who were great.

Just to reprise: The original post in the original thread was really about old singers who can no longer (or barely) sing being wheeled out on mainstream TV and paraded about on stage as if they're still saints. It's just nostalgia at it's worst IMHO.

Just to reprise: The original post in the original thread was really about old singers who can no longer (or barely) sing being wheeled out on mainstream TV and paraded about on stage as if they're still saints. It's just nostalgia at it's worst IMHO.

In that case, blame the TV channels and not the musicians. They're just earning a living. That's their job.

Bear in mind that musicians not only love their music and want to play/sing it, they've also put in years and years of work learning the music skills that brought them fame. That's a big investment and they have every right to live off the profits of that investment as they get old.

In other 'arts' often the very finest work is made in old age, Sculpture, painting and literature have good examples.
Music is only different if your only reason to make it is money.
Otherwise intelligent older musicians should carry right on, and we should be glad.

Half Man Half Biscuit released a plea from the heart in 2005. Bono unfortunately has not heeded the request. He should.

In that case, blame the TV channels and not the musicians. They're just earning a living. That's their job.

Bear in mind that musicians not only love their music and want to play/sing it, they've also put in years and years of work learning the music skills that brought them fame. That's a big investment and they have every right to live off the profits of that investment as they get old.
I don't believe I was laying any blame on the musicians themselves. Without knowledge of how they came to be doing the performances, I have no way of knowing who's decision it was. I was presuming (and I thought I had worded it as such, maybe I wasn't clear), that it was the TV channels etc who were to blame.

Nothing comes close to the pitiful sight of Brian Wilson being wheeled out on stage, just leave him be.

advertisement

Back