advertisement

Artists that should stop

garyi

leave blank
Man I cannot find the thread but a few new ones to add in.

Love Pink Floyd, was never enamoured with Gilmour as solo, now he is wheeling out the old nepotism, I dont think this could be duller if he tried.

Deep Purple, I dont't know I have not looked into it, perhaps its for charity, god, let it be for charity.

There was a thread hopefully tony can merge. Heard the new Streets, was not for me.

Nah. Crack on I say. I get the thing about bands not reforming because they don't want to tarnish their legacy but OAPs shuffling round still making records in their 80s... why not? It gets them out the house. Good luck to them. No one has to listen to it if they don't want to. We don't demand that authors or artists pack it in when they get to 50.

It is depressing just how few elderly pop/rock artists produce anything of note late in life. A far lower success rate to other arts and musical genres. The exceptions are so rare one tends to notice.

Nah. Crack on I say. I get the thing about bands not reforming because they don't want to tarnish their legacy but OAPs shuffling round still making records in their 80s... why not? It gets them out the house. Good luck to them. No one has to listen to it if they don't want to. We don't demand that authors or artists pack it in when they get to 50.
Yes, if it still appeals to fans let them crack on. Being a Paul Weller fan I’ve seen him quite a few times, there are fans who are still living it as if it’s 1980.

Cheers BB

I’d have agreed with you last year but I saw the set at Glastonbury and it was extraordinary.
Was at Glastonbury in 2004 and while it was nice to be sung to by a Beatle he milked it for all it was worth, holding his hands up for praise long long long after all the appalause had died down.
The big firework display for 'Live and let die' a suitable hi point ending? no, done at 3/4 of the way through to tie in with the live BBC link never mind the present Glastonbury crowd.
All a bit to cynical for me, cant believe age has changed him.

Most of us are at our best during our fifties and then, whether we like it or not, age starts to click in and the downward spiral slowly starts. Best to pull the plug at sixty if you can.

Here's the original

It is depressing just how few elderly pop/rock artists produce anything of note late in life. A far lower success rate to other arts and musical genres. The exceptions are so rare one tends to notice.
Tom Waits

:)

Cant keep looking back I suppose, especially as there is so much good , new stuff out there.

Personally, I think, the Rolling Stones, should perform in the local phone box, just to the right of the defibrillator:p

Tom Waits

Bowie, Eno, Klaus Schulze, David Sylvian, The Fall, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Carlos Santana etc come to mind. Usually non-mainstream artists who carved their own path far away from ‘hits’, but every now and again someone really surprises me, e.g. I’d not have predicted EBTG knocking out one of the best albums of last year. I think the key is to write to your age and current experience. Never try to turn out stuff similar to the peak teenage and early 20s years. Always move forwards.

advertisement

Back