advertisement

Aro armboard socket part number??

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Does anyone have a source/part number etc for the socket that the armlead from the Aro plugs into on the armboard? I'm intending to try out a DIY prefix at some point, and I don't want to butcher the current cable.

Apparently Naim want a goodly amount for them ($25 in the US, anyway!!).

I've looked at doing this on my LP12 which has an Ittok fitted. I think these arm socketsare very expensive - it occured to me that inside the arm pillar are 5 pins - maybe cartridge tags would fit onto these pins - not sure if the Aro is the same

The DIN plug fitting in the bottom of Linn, Rega and 99% of the tonearm market are 5 pin units. These can be had reasonably. Naim uses a 7 pin version !!!!!!!!???????!!!!!??? Typical NAIM :)

If you need one for your Ittok or other arm, they should not be too hard to find. Cardas Audio sells a few versions here in the US. I bet Origin Live would part with one for a coulpe of quid, or maybe even an electronics magazine.

Richard GOOD LUCK! NAIM probably found 500 of these special 7 pin units in a box at the back of some warehouse for a now defunct manufacturer that went out of business building parts no one needed. hehe. They love having stuff that you cant get except from them!

The 7 pin also makes it impossible to use the arm with anything but a NAIM cable. I am sure this was part of their plan. Is the diameter of the part the same as that of a LINN. If it could be changed out it would leave you with more options in the future. If you dare change it. Look carefully for booby traps, and a small antena and transmitter below the plug that will signal NAIM if you so much as loosen the screw :)

Adam (a naim lover and sceptic :)

They love having stuff that you cant get except from them!

Oh dear. Wherever did you get that idea?

Naim are a company, they do long, long production runs... and tend to buy in stuff that is available. Could you possibly be confusing them with Musical Fidelity**?

Rico

** runs of limited amplification with the last remaining valves, volume pots on x-amps NLA...

The Cardas standard 5 pin plugs are around $30 and the SME one is about £45!
$25 for the Naim plug,sound's like a bargain to me;)

Paul.

Hi Ric, you are absolutely right, NAIM likes LOOONNNGGGG production runs. I am sure the aluminum extrusion they used for their last case style 72, 140, HiCap etc, would if put end to end reach the sun and back!

My point really is that NAIM actualy DONT make it easy for you to get parts they use. RichardH is looking for a 7 pin DIN for an ARO.

If you can get a line on one of these pieces we will all be VERY happy!

Good luck finding those rare tubes!

Adam

quickie - the Cardas DIN's are (in the US) $19 for the cheap version. This is a complete plug assemble. They also sell just the connector parts for less. Go to http://www.cardas.com/oem/index.html and on the right click on DIN's and then look at 'M DIN' and TIDP. M DIN would be a replacement part for the DIN that sits inside the bottom of the Ittok and other arms (I am pretty sure of this). The TIDP is the 5 pin version of what would be the equivelent 7 pin part NAIM have attached to the prefix.

does anyone know a source for 5 or 7 pin versions of the TIDP and M DIN parts?

Interesting Site.I presume you have to order through their dealer's?........couldn't find any prices.

Paul

advertisement

Back