advertisement

Armstrong 625

Hi, my friend's Armstrong receiver (think it was a 626 ) was repaired by a Mr Ted Kendall over at the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum :
You should search the forum section for his name then join/ PM him to discuss the issue.
Hope this helps.

I'm a bit concerned that he seems to be charging for selling copies of documents which I doubt he owns the copyright for. I doubt anyone would sue, but it seems bad practice to me, albeit I can understand charging for a physical item like a CDROM and its postage.

Yes they are very good indeed, having heard my mate's many times through his Mordant Short Pagent 2 speakers. Pretty impressive with loads of power.
There's one on ebay at the moment at a stupid low price....

If you can, try to find out what version it might be. The choice of devices and circuit details developed a lot from the first release versions to the final runs. Sadly, the details of that versus serial number got binned. So you need to know about some specific device changes, etc, to tell. But the final versions used a Toko filter and a Texas Instruments stereo decoder in the FM radio sections. Gave better stereo. And by then the power amp was more capable.

If you can, try to find out what version it might be. The choice of devices and circuit details developed a lot from the first release versions to the final runs. Sadly, the details of that versus serial number got binned. So you need to know about some specific device changes, etc, to tell. But the final versions used a Toko filter and a Texas Instruments stereo decoder in the FM radio sections. Gave better stereo. And by then the power amp was more capable.
I'll ask him but I doubt he will know which version he has without opening it up and looking for the Texas stereo decoder .... I'll post the answer here. He used a repairer previously who made a mess of it. Then he uncovered Ted Kendall who apparently did an excellent job, he traced all faults, replaced & adjusted various parts, adjusted the tuner etc etc. It sounds really great now.

Better, but I wonder why you have to 'register'. FWIW UKHHSoc items are all free with no need to 'register'.
I doubt you will be able to register now - the site has routinely had attempts to strip it of all it's resources (all donated by members) and as far as I know closed off all new registrations.

I doubt you will be able to register now - the site has routinely had attempts to strip it of all it's resources (all donated by members) and as far as I know closed off all new registrations.

So its a closed site? What's the point of that? All that means is that I feel even stronger that what it contains should be openly available elsewhere. If I had a copy of the Service Manual I'd add it to the UKHHSoc items that are open and free to access.

I can still download myself - I think
It's a one man band and he has routinely had it asset stripped by people who want to SELL on.

If he has essentially given up, maybe he'd be happy to see some of it available elsewhere for free? I got used to people nicking my pages long ago. Frankly, I don't mind of they lift stuff, just that would like them to credit it back to where they got it! If nothing else, that may help others to find more info. Its there for people to access, not make money from, or claim as their own.

In particular I'd welcome the service info or other items I lack on Armstrong as so much was binned before I realised it was gone! Details of when mods were made to 500 and 600 range sets versus serial number would be great. Quite a lot of changes were made to them over their production periods, and meant quite marked improvements in spec, etc. Yet for buyers they looked the same, and the printed specs didn't often reflect this.

FWIW if a site does not charge or make use of user data, I'd be happy to reference/credit them on UKHHSoc for items we had from them which otherwise we lacked. That said, being an old one-man-band myself, I can only add stuff occasionally.

If you want I will have a go at downloading and email it on

Yes, please. If nothing else it will let me check it and see what it actually contains. If good I'll put it up if no-one objects.

PM me about it. Note that the web form on the UKHHSoc site for submissions now doesn't email me so is defunct. I should change that to a different message so people know. The 'web@' addresses at the bottoms of my pages work OK.

advertisement

Back