advertisement

Armageddon Question

kasbridge

pfm Member
Hi,
Just added a 'geddon to my LP12/Akiva/Cirkus/Ittok and am happy with the results so far - better definition, clearer bass, more 3d sound.

A quick question - it seems strange that there is no facility to keep the geddon warm other than be removing the deck lead from the back of the unit.

Every other piece of Naim kit that i have benefits from being left powered up - anyone got a view/info on this?

Also has anyone compared a geddon to a lingo1/2 - diferences? I upgraded from a Valhalla and the difference was clear.

many thanks,
kevin

I believe it all comes down to personal preference in my opinion, there is no definitive answer to which is better.

I personally prefer the Armageddon to the following - Basic, Valhalla, Lingo, 1 Lingo 2.

However, many say the Avondale TAPS and Norton Airpower supplies are excellent power supplies and each are on my list to trial one day.

I don't think there's much to be gained by leaving an Armageddon powered up as there's very little passive componentry on the PCB. I just switch my TT on approx 30 minutes before a listening session which is the same time as I power up all my amps, phono stage etc.

John R.

It should be left on constantly, as all Naim gear. But as this is rather impractical (it implies the TT running 24/7) I used to switch off after every listening session. It takes about half an hour to come on song from cold.

My understanding was that the Geddon is "on" even if it is not spinning .

I went, in my LP12 era, from early Lingo to Geddon and preferred the Geddon, although I do think it was a question of taste and not a nght and day difference.

They did have quite different sonic footprints; and as they are not in the signal path, i just wonder - why??

i've been from basic, Valhalla, Lingo mk1 to Armaggedon and i found that the naim power supply was head over heels to the lingo.
Regards,
Martin

They did have quite different sonic footprints; and as they are not in the signal path, i just wonder - why??

Someone once explained that the Armageddon is the only source of power for the signal coming from the turntable. The cartridge does not generate any energy itself, it converts it from kinetic to electrostatic energy. So any variations in the source of that energy will affect the signal.

The main difference I heard when adding my Armageddon was the PRaT - before there was practically none, afterwards it was there in spades. This was by far and away the biggest PRaT change I've made. Adding an Ekos and an Akiva made far less of a difference.

So I'm a little concerned that the OP didn't mention this as PRaT is the raison d'etre of Linn and Naim kit IMHO. If PRaT isn't your bag then I would think that other brands would probably serve you better :)

The Armageddon is basically a transformer in a box that drops the 230 V mains down to around 110 V. This then feeds a little circuit board that creates the correct phase relationship for the two motor windings. The only reason I can see for it working so well is that the transformer is 50 times more powerful than the motor requires but it does reduce a lot of the muck coming through the mains.

IMHO none of those components in this application gain any benefit from being permanently powered. However it would not be a major job to replace the blanking plate that Naim use with a switch that controls either the input or output to the circuit board. This would have the added advantage of being able to control the motor from the TT itself rather than the 'Geddon box,

malcolm

However, many say the Avondale TAPS and Norton Airpower supplies are excellent power supplies and each are on my list to trial one day.

I use a Norton and I'm happy with it, though it's no longer available. It has a massive 1000VA transformer, which is twice the rating of the Naim. I seem to remeber that back in the day it used to do pretty well in comparative tests in the press.

advertisement

Back