advertisement

Ariston RD110 SL Salvaged (just about)...

xtal_recorder

pfm Member
Thought I would share this as it may help the next person that comes by one of these decks...

I purchase an Ariston RD110 SL which was pretty much NOS with the original fitted Audio Technica AT-1100 tonearm and Linn cart.

I got it for an absolute song so I was absolutely over the moon.

On first inspection, the top plate just looked to be a little grubby but on taking a closer look, I realised it was slightly tacky. It was that awful Nextel covering which was used at the time. It degrades to an awful mess.

I thought it might be a good idea to try and at least clean the "suede" off the top and then this happened:

An absolute nightmare! The scratches were already on the top plate (not done by me)

So I ended up carefully stripping all the Nextel off which left me with bare metal:

I then went about making and improving a paper template:

Then purchased some alcantara type fabric from eBay which was as close to the original finish as I could find and went about cutting / sticking it to the top plate:

Ended up with a fairly decent result (I'm by no means handy with this sort of thing as you can probably see but I was pleased with it.)

Having a look through Google, it seems like a fairly common problem with this deck so I'm posting this thread in case anyone comes by it and wants to save some time!

I've kept the paper pattern in the box so if anyone needs it, just drop me a pm!

Next up I've got a Nagaoka MP-50 to fit to the tonearm. I'm hoping it's a good match.

Nice work. I had the slightly cheaper version of that arm on my RD80 (mine was an AT1120), its a decent arm.

A good find, especially with that arm fitted. You've done a top job refurbishing it, very smart.

There's a thread on Viny Engine about refinishing a Nextel-covered Systemdek Transcription and methylated spirit is apparently the stuff to clean it off.

advertisement

Back