advertisement

Are You Suffering From Upgradeitus?

There are two types:

1) Looking for fixes to perceived problems. The fix often does not address the issue but provides a temporay distraction. This is malignant upgraditis.

2) Happy with the system but looking to push the envelope, so to speak as and when an affordable opportunity arises. It's (still) a free country but the resident pfm joy-sponges take issue with this. This is benign upgraditis.

Whatsnext can only think of one man when there are many. He might like to leave a chap alone. The passive-aggression continues...

There is also the third type of audiophile who think their system is perfect because either a guru, some arbitrary measurement or both tell them it is so.

Any upgradeitus I may have had is currently outweighed by the need for extensive house repairs/refurbishment.

Only with original Star Trek. I'm safe until Paramount releases them again in 4k, but I doubt that film from the 1960s can gi' me any morrrrre.

The hi-fi, however, is fine, so I'm in maintenance mode for kit. Just records and CDs as needed now.

Odd that it took breeeeeg woofers from 1958 to kill the bug.

Joe

I am the worst sort, the evangelical ex-smoker. We look on the helpless addicts with the smugness of the "cured". Buy a set of Stillpoints? I can handle them :)

I now get the buzz from discovering new music, or a fantastic recording of an old favourite.

Nic P

Just to let those of you who don't know. Just like alcoholism you can never be cured. I was dry for 15 years before my relapse

Any upgradeitus I may have had is currently outweighed by the need for extensive house repairs/refurbishment.

Thirded.

The upside is house repairs and refurbishment, in my case, will provide me with a new room for my hi-fi. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be an improvement.

Thirded.

The upside is house repairs and refurbishment, in my case, will provide me with a new room for my hi-fi. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be an improvement.

We were torn between selling up and moving somewhere smaller/easier to maintain, or staying here and doing the place up. The latter option won, so we've just started on what will probably be a year's worth of work, some DIY, some not. Had we moved somewhere smaller, I'd probably have lost the luxury of having two hifis to listen to!

advertisement

Back