advertisement

Are you open-minded?

Are you open-minded?

• No, my expereinces and knowledge far outway other opinions and expericnes.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I think I know what I know, but occasionaly change my opinions because of what I read here.

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Yes, I learn from others here, and have gained much knowledge and changed my views over the years.

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Open mind
I tried but so much of what people, raved about, "reviwed", recommended did not do as their words suggested. Money back, things sold on etc.
I veture that what one person hears another doesn't so smile to myself at the next enthusiasm posted

Hmm, I'm thinking that given the 70 responses and 860 views, combined with the prevalence of cyclic gainsay posts we see here, that the 790 non-voters must mostly fall into the "No, my experiences and knowledge far outweigh other opinions and experiences.".

Of course had I been able to word that option vaguely coherently it might have helped!

:)

Hmm, I'm thinking that given the 70 responses and 860 views, combined with the prevalence of cyclic gainsay posts we see here, that the 790 non-voters must mostly fall into the "No, my experiences and knowledge far outweigh other opinions and experiences.".

Of course had I been able to word that option vaguely coherently it might have helped!

:)

None of the options made much sense which is why I did not answer. I thought it was to do with this tongue in check whatever that was.

Beware of your assumptions

The whole thread is meant to be light-hearted, including that last post of mine. That said, I'm sceptical that the general forum membership falls 60% into the last category - hence my comment.

As I say, meant to be for fun, as the forum is in the grip of some of the worst cyclic arguments I've seen in a while.

The whole thread is meant to be light-hearted, including that last post of mine. That said, I'm sceptical that the general forum membership falls 60% into the last category - hence my comment.

As I say, meant to be for fun, as the forum is in the grip of some of the worst cyclic arguments I've seen in a while.

No it isn't.

;)

It's disappointing though when you post a perfectly sensible question but get few or no replies - is this because people are too scared to kick off an argument ?

Well, the threads that prompted the question were the "Microphony" one, and my own one - "Where is the Line?", which was intended to get both "sides" looking at one another's POV and seeing if there was learning to be had. With a handful of notable exceptions it immediately became another thread full of re-stated strongly held positions.

OK.

AFAICS 'open mindedness' is a very complex concept within psychology. I don't have all the answers.

We all start from a set of beliefs and values which influence how we receive information. It is no coincidence that people buy newspapers which reflect or reinforce their own world view.

I don't generally buy newspapers at all, unless I've got a long train journey ahead and I need a half decent crossword to play with. I have no need to have my political opinions 'stroked' by like minded publications, or to have my hackles raised by what those of a different persuasion have to say.

In the 1990s when I first read of such exotica as interconnects costing hundreds of pounds, or cartridges costing thousands, I was originally dumfounded. Gradually I realised that there is merit in much, if not all of this stuff.

I recall a neighbour being utterly astonished when I told him a particular amp retailed at over £1k. He ranted about 'inflated prices' and 'waste of money' as we stood next to his £50k+ 4x4 which was at the time about as far 'off road' as it was going to get. IE, on his drive.

I went from initial disbelief about much hi-fi hyperbolae, to a kind of wide eyed acceptance of much of the bullshit and hype that I heard, though I was never sucked in by the obvious marketing led and highly rehearsed speil of the typical Linn/Naim dealer.

Gradually, I started to reign in my own enthusiasm so that now I am much more sceptical of a lot of claims, but still try to at least give things a fair hearing.

ISTM that the biggest thing we can all learn is to trust our ears and not be swayed by what others tell us, or what fashion dictates.

A friend of mine from primary and grammar school went on to become something of a leading light in psychology and particularly in the field of Consumer Psychology. Some of this stuff is interesting in itself but also sheds light on just how truly independent and therefore open minded our thinking is.

http://innovationbubble.eu/the-consumer-psychology-model-of-customer-experience-management-cem/

http://www.research-live.com/features/are-you-experienced?/4009152.article

http://jardindespsyches.co.uk/2014/07/what-shape-are-you-in/

Mull

Following the threads here over the last couple of years I'm surprised at how few folks here are interested in learning from other's opinions and experiences. Instead of trying to understand many posts just gainsay other's input.

This is not subjectivist vs. objectivist - you can be closed to input from either perspective.

So, this is a tongue-in-cheek poll to see how folk see themselves.
I am open minded to sensible, real world suggestions.

Now & again there are posts that actually try to help on here but are very few & far between in my short experience on the site.

If you ask a question it usually turns into the usual ego trip with the odd helpful post sandwiched in amongst them.

advertisement

Back