advertisement

Are we ever happy with what we have got

How odd. I played a recently acquired Roxy Music album ('Boys and Girls') in my session last evening. Stunning s.q. and pretty lively and melodic tracks too. On vinyl, of course.

And, it has one of my favourite tracks, Slave to Love on it, I'm not surprised you had a good time :)

Avonmore is Ferry's latest album named after the studio it was recorded at.

Weird, I played several Roxy Music Lps yesterday evening, for the first time in a long time. They stand up well .
As for 'upgraditus'...any hobby is a journey, not a destination. So we can't stand still for too long.....for me, the trick is to play around with nice vintage stuff, cheap and great fun. I played my Hydraulic Reference deck, sounds pretty awful. But does it look good......got a lovely old Rogers valve amp too, at the moment.

"Are we ever happy with what we have got?"

Depends on my mood!
Some days my hifi sounds sublime, some days it (or the music) irritates me. C'est la V

Weird, I played several Roxy Music Lps yesterday evening, for the first time in a long time. They stand up well .
As for 'upgraditus'...any hobby is a journey, not a destination. So we can't stand still for too long.....for me, the trick is to play around with nice vintage stuff, cheap and great fun. I played my Hydraulic Reference deck, sounds pretty awful. But does it look good......got a lovely old Rogers valve amp too, at the moment.

It's good fun to play around with vintage/budget kit and why I run more than one system.

I have my "destination" system, the one I can always go to for guaranteed musical fulfilment, this system rarely changes and it'd take a very significant bargain/opportunity to make me change anything.

Then I have systems in other parts of the house that are for playing with :)

"Are we ever happy with what we have got?"

Depends on my mood!
Some days my hifi sounds sublime, some days it (or the music) irritates me. C'est la V

We have all been there, if your mind isn't straight then you're not going to enjoy your music. When this happens, go do something else, go for a drive or a walk, see some friends. Life would be dull without music but there is more to life than just HIFI/music.

I think as an earlier posted said, if you wish to be content and stop swapping kit (rather than be content swapping for the fun of it) going active really helps. It takes away any thoughts about amp-speaker synergy and provides controls to tune the balance as well as generally delivering excellent sound for the money.

I spent a long time with one pair of active speakers and a volume controlled digital source.
I'm Aktiv though with Linn in most cases its Aktiv cards in the amps. Certainly there is a huge difference over being passive in the same system.

Having done a demo on Linn Exact that's the way I would love to go its an incredible system but so is the price. Linn have taken a giant leap forward with this system. So now giving serious thought to selling my 7 year old Boxster to help raise funds. Music is played all year where the Boxster is just for summer but I love that car. Decisions decisions !

I'm Aktiv though with Linn in most cases its Aktiv cards in the amps. Certainly there is a huge difference over being passive in the same system.

Having done a demo on Linn Exact that's the way I would love to go its an incredible system but so is the price. Linn have taken a giant leap forward with this system. So now giving serious thought to selling my 7 year old Boxster to help raise funds. Music is played all year where the Boxster is just for summer but I love that car. Decisions decisions !

I'm not even going there, my aunt has an exakt system but lives 200 miles away so I have listened yet. I don't know if it's a good idea, last time I heard her 242s, I prefered my keltiks but driven by exakt, that could change!

Trust me, not having a sports car/roadster to drive is biting at me today. I have had something or other for the past few years, I'm missing it today, it's lovely outside. Think carefully on this one.

I'm not even going there, my aunt has an exakt system but lives 200 miles away so I have listened yet. I don't know if it's a good idea, last time I heard her 242s, I prefered my keltiks but driven by exakt, that could change!

Trust me, not having a sports car/roadster to drive is biting at me today. I have had something or other for the past few years, I'm missing it today, it's lovely outside. Think carefully on this one.

Keltiks are wonderful speakers so I know where you are coming from. Trust me you hear Exact you will want it as it will also take your speakers to another level.
The Exact box is the answer on a budget. Unfortunately my system has a turntable - two phono amps - Pre-amp - two power amps and a DS. The hifi unit is full and looks like a telephone exchange at the back. Getting Exact would do away with three quarters of the hifi while improving the sound .

Have a feeling I would miss the car.

I can imagine the improvement is quite large given how many drivers the high-end Linn speakers are trying to integrate. Digital crossovers that allow frequency response and phase correction will really help stitch it all together.

At this point I am very happy with my system, but as is common with audiophiles I was bitten by the tweaker bug a long time ago. While I can not see any more major purchases on the horizon. I am sure a few more mods shall happen very soon.....in fact.....I can see a light bulb appearing above my head as I type this post.

At this point I am very happy with my system, but as is common with audiophiles I was bitten by the tweaker bug a long time ago. While I can not see any more major purchases on the horizon. I am sure a few more mods shall happen very soon.....in fact.....I can see a light bulb appearing above my head as I type this post.

Someone has lowered the ceiling?

advertisement

Back