advertisement

Are pop lyrics getting more repetative

Na na na, na na na na na,
Na na na, na na na na na.

Not just the lyrics! I've noted many songs on the radio where after the first 5 seconds you've heard everything it has to "offer"... yep literally 5 seconds... the next 3.5 minutes just keeps repeating it...

Corresponds to the attention span of some young people I know.

I’d argue chart pop music has always been, at best, 95% crap. For every Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell you get literally millions of ‘I love you yeah yeah yeah’ type landfill, and really they were both folk, not pop! Every now and again some music with a real message gets through to the charts, e.g. 1967, 1976-7, even the acid hedonism of 1987, but on the whole its the ‘yeah yeah yeah’ stuff. The stuff that actually says something tends to lie out in the left field even if on occasion it aimlessly wanders into the charts, e.g. the aforementioned folk, punk/new-wave, the more politically aware rap/grime etc. Pure pop seldom carries any lyrical payload.

I find watching the reruns of TOTPs on BBC4 quite enlightening as it shows just how out of place and awkward many bands (folk, punk, new-wave, indie, reggae etc) were in what was always fundamentally a children’s medium.

Don’t know, but their spelling is getting worse.

I’m not bothered by repetitive lyrics - I was thinking only last night (very loudly) how much I love Primal Scream’s ‘Shoot Speed Kill Light’, and that is the entire lyrical content.

For every Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell you get literally millions of ‘I love you yeah yeah yeah’ type landfill...

Bob had his moments too - the first one that came to my mind was

It ain’t me Babe
No no no
It ain’t me Babe
It ain’t me you’re looking for
Babe

Neil Young managed to get a 9 minute song "T- Bone", using sparse repetitive lyrics.

Ally

One thing I hate are those woh ooo ooo fillers. Seems to be a trend these days.

It's called the Millenial Whoop (Google it..). And it's the hook that short attention small speaker iPhone listeners need t o stop them advancing to another track within 15secs. Ed Sheeran is a master, so are Coldplay and a host of 'producers' who are the mickie most of today.

Pop music should be simple. sometimes simple trite lyrics ARE the song in perfect pop.

E.g.
"You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met you"

Sometimes inane repetition is the height of creativity in pop.

E.g. Any Kraftwerk song...

Sometimes it is just cynical hit-making to make money and acahive fame 'DJ Shagger featuring etc...

There is always some good pop. Most is dire.

Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep. Boom Bang a bang.

advertisement

Back