advertisement

Are PMCs that really good ?

I demd Fact 8 , Fact 12 and 20.26 before I bought my Rega RS10.

None of the PMC did anything for me.

I've always wanted to like the PMC range. Given their heritage and philosophy, I feel I should, but every time I actually listen to them, I'm rather underwhelmed, then when I find out how much they cost, I'm completely underwhelmed!

My feelings too - looking for a possible replacement for my aged KEF's a couple of years back I went to a PMC open day and heard all their range. I felt, at best, the 20/26 were about as good as my KEFs, but at 3 times the price.

The only ones I liked were the small stand mounted 20/22.

I kept my KEFs.

Hi Folks,
I agree with the most critical comments about their new 20 or Fact range. I myself tested the 22 at home and was dissapointed fully. The bass was totally weak and spongy.
Imo they reduced quality and rised the prices.

If anyone knows someone selling for example a pair of FB1+ I would be glad to know it.

Sorry but my FB1+s aren't going anywhere soon.

The FB1s and the Fact 12s are good. As are the MB2s. However, they require a lot of amp to control them, otherwise the bass can sound late and flabby. Something like a Bryston 4B (300 watts per channel) is just the ticket. The Bryston 7Bs would be even better (600 watts per channel).

Not so keen on the 20 series or the Fact 8s.

I bought a pair of FB1i Signatures a few months back, and I'm very happy. Maybe not the most artificially "exciting" speaker, but to my ear very honest, and nicely balanced, natural sounding I guess. Bass seems satisfyingly deep and weighty when it needs to be.

Used Shahinian Arcs Previously, and not missing them nearly as much as I thought I would.

All on the end of a NAC82/HiCap/NAP180.

Perhaps the thread should be retitled "Are PMCs really that bad?"
I have FB1i's from 2010 and they cost £1,800 with dealer discount. They have been superseded by the twenty range and price seems to have gone up dramatically. The Fact range seem even more expensive.
I may have cloth ears but have not experienced bass problems with mine.

Steve,

I get the impression it's the later models that are not so well received, and yes the prices are in a different league to what you paid - looking at specs alone the closest in the latest line would be the Twenty5.24 at a list price of £4250?

Out of interest, have you heard any of the newer lines? I've never heard any of the older models.

£4k is steep for a broadly equivalent model!
I've only heard the GB and FB models...
I think used prices on the old range would represent decent value.

i have a pair of mb2s and although being ridiculously expensive and look like chimp coffins (lol) second hand are so head and shoulders above their domestic brothers are well worth a listen and sound sooo good!!!
ps tried fact 8 - not for me
tried pb1"s - could not match my old speakers and the pb1's were 7k at the time
bought the mb2s second hand for 4k and am a happy bunny, fast bass and a midrange to die for

I think personally the older ones are much better than the newer 20 series which is very expensive for a worse sound . I think they have become hyped up by marketing and carried by a lot of dealers which tend to push them . Much better value elsewhere

You only need to look at all the high profile musicians that use ATC to understand that they are either bought or deaf.

Dear folks,

I owned in the past the PMC DB1+ and was really surprised with it's performance regarding it's dimensions.
Foolwise I sold them because my new active JBL LSR 308 are 8 inch and so more bass intensive. I am generally happy with the JBLs. Superb tonality and bass performance but one friend of mine noticed a weakness to realize deep soundstage. And it's correct.

Should I sell them and look for the PMC TB2+ which has more bass performance as the DB1+ ?? Thanks

To answer OP question, I would borrow some, listen, and ask yourself the question is the difference in sound worth the difference in price.

Haven't heard a pair of pmc's that I would give living room space to, but then I am an SL2 user. Chalk and cheese.

Haven't heard a pair of pmc's that I would give living room space to, but then I am an SL2 user. Chalk and cheese.

You may be interested to learn a good friend, who has tried lots of alternatives to his SL2s, finally settled on a pair of FACT 12s to replace them. Mind you, they're the only pair of PMCs I've liked.

advertisement

Back