advertisement

Are pfm types a bit snobby about their music?

dss said:
Bert Kaempfert is much better.
From the Amazon entry on "Very Best of Bert Kaempfert":

Customers who bought this album also bought

* That Latin Feeling/Blue Midnight ~ Bert Kaempfert
* Bye Bye Blues ~ Bert Kaempfert
* The Magic Music of Far Away Places ~ Bert Kaempfert & His Orchestra
* Three O'Clock in the Morning ~ Bert Kaempfert & His Orchestra
* Christmas Wonderland ~ Bert Kaempfert
* The Best of Bert Kaempfert ~ Bert Kaempfert
* Love That Bert Kaempfert/My Way of Life ~ Bert Kaempfert
* Hold Me/World We Knew ~ Bert Kaempfert

No metion of Ray Conniff? Talk about snobs! ;-)

coredump said:
Have you heard this record by JL? Photos by Corbijn, speaking of unholy alliances.
7. Love Will Survive [Die Liebe Siegt Immer] - Nina Hagen, James Last This I want to hear.

IIRC The Kinks were seen as a 'pop' band, along with many others way back when... whereas they're respected elder statesmen now. Nowt wrong with pop. I still occasionally dig out stuff by Hot Chocolate, Eurythmics etc. I also love motown in all its guises, and love the Beatles for the influence they had, and for some fabulous tunes, which have already lasted 40 years. I'd argue that the Stones 60's 'pop' stuff, is far more significant than the average rock they've churned out since.

My taste extends to all types of music, so long as it's well performed, with the single exception of 'rap' type stuff which is a cop out.

My only criticism of those who espouse the more obscure stuff, is that they often don't give us mere mortals any clue as to the type of music they're talking about. Eg., " I reckon 'Electric Phone Box', are more influenced by 'Cement Mixer', than they are by ' Anxious Beetroot'", doesn't tell us much.

Maybe we need a referencing system. Anybody care to suggest one?

Mull. ( Eclectic taste.. huge gaps in knowledge.. deep prejudices.. sucker for female vocals.. hates rap, Elvis and the Bee Gees.)

Nick the Jock said:
The fact is no-one seems to want to admit to listening to this stuff. My recent listening (last night) has been Steve Harley, Carly Simon, Michael Jackson, Lynyrd Skynyrd plus Gnarls Barkley - but admittedly not a whole album at a time. In fact there are very few artists where I could listen to a whole album (Jam/Weller possibly an exception).

Anyone else out there a hifi buff but content to listen to artists which appear not too trendy on this forum??? :confused: I'm sure many of you will be of the view (as am I) that we should enjoy whatever we enjoy but there don't appear to be many serious hifi types admitting to liking basic pop/dance/rock stuff.

I can listen to either. Sometimes I have a 'listening to singles' frenzy, when I dig out the shoebox full of 7" vinyl and indulge in a spot of attention-deficit nostalgia; other times I listen to an album or two of classical music straight through.

The only stuff I'm snobbish about is what I'd describe as 'noodling'; rambling 20 minute indulgence of not particularly interesting music spun out well beyond its natural lifespan. That, and drum solos. Oh, and soft metal like Foreigner.

Hi
I haven't posted on here very much. I do look in the music threads more than anywhere else. I liked the Asian music thread and also the Electronic thread.

Snobby is wrong .Maybe blinkered,or ear muffed:)

Every one should try some new genre of music from time to time.

I will start to post more often,also i'm a novice at this hifi game

Lee

Welcome to the madhouse, Lee.

I know next to f**k-all about hi-fi, I'm only here for the music! There are some folks on here with an encyclopaedic knowledge of music, and others that post have a real passion for it.

purplepleaser said:
Hi
,also i'm a novice at this hifi game

Lee

Omigod! You've done it now Lee.... I can see them sharpening their collective teeth! Would you walk into a rough pub looking sheepish?

Never admit to not knowing.... not on here ... they'll 'ave yer fer breakfast.

Seriously though. Welcome to the fray. You'll learn a lot here. What this lot don't know about hi-fi, is most of it. ;)

Mull.

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.
My interest is in finding new bands and music. I also post on the Wigwam,some may have seen my post on there.

I am currently trying vinyl for the first time. I have a turntable and a few records on loan,which i'm enjoying.
I will most likely post in the audio thread about turntables in the near future.

Lee

PeeWeeKiwi said:
Tony, I have Kimono my house on vinyl ,too :)
one of my fave albums of all time. Love the fast poppy beats, the catchy melodies, Ron Mael's falsetto, and the quirky lyrics viz:
"here, there are many many sheep, and the people only sleep"
"..i'm gonna hang myself from my family tree.."

advertisement

Back