advertisement

Are CDP Transports the same or similar? - NO!

John Little

pfm Member
I recently bought a Rega DAC-R and have been trying different CDPs as transports and was curious how important the transport was in the equation. I posed this question on this forum and people directed me to the Rega Apollo-R as a transport and reported only subtle differences sonically.

Initially I used an Onkyo CDP and discovered the unit worked significantly better using the optical cable vs the coax cable. What was strange though was my system as whole improved (vinyl playback). This lead me to believe the CDP somehow was injecting noise into my system and the mechanical isolation of the CDP with the optical cable helped.

So I removed the Onkyo and tried a Sony SACD player I had in my other system which brought again more improvements.

This sparked my curiosity so I decided purchase a Cambridge Audio CXC to see if there were further improvements to be gained. I chose the CXC over the Apollo because the CXC is designed for a singular purpose vs the Apollo which is designed as a stand alone CDP as well. Thinking the simpler the design the better. I must say I'm shocked! this is like a complete CDP upgrade, lower noise floor, better tonal contrast, better dynamic contrast, deeper tighter bass and just better all around and again more improvement in my whole system and vinyl playback.

I always thought through the years my vinyl playback sounded much better when the CDP was completely disconnected from my system. This was with high end CDPs as well, are CDPs really that evil? :)

This thread should kick off in the morning, usual suspects will be saying bits are bits, competently designed equipment etc etc, £20 dvd player sounds stunning as a transport:rolleyes:

This thread should kick off in the morning, usual suspects will be saying bits are bits, competently designed equipment etc etc, £20 dvd player sounds stunning as a transport:rolleyes:

And your PC/streamer via USB to the DAC is just as good or better.

Initially I used an Onkyo CDP and discovered the unit worked significantly better using the optical cable vs the coax cable.

This sparked my curiosity so I decided purchase a Cambridge Audio CXC to see if there were further improvements to be gained. I chose the CXC over the Apollo because the CXC is designed for a singular purpose vs the Apollo which is designed as a stand alone CDP as well. Thinking the simpler the design the better. I must say I'm shocked! this is like a complete CDP upgrade, lower noise floor, better tonal contrast, better dynamic contrast, deeper tighter bass and just better all around and again more improvement in my whole system and vinyl playback.

So have you compared co-ax to optical with the Cambridge deck?

Sounds surprisingly good in my system but I'll probably grab an Apollo R sometime (better than my old Saturn).

I found my original Rega Apollo to be a good transport. When I compared it to the Blu Ray DVD player the Rega was very clearly better. With the blue ray there was some distortion in the treble.

Initially I used an Onkyo CDP and discovered the unit worked significantly better using the optical cable vs the coax cable. What was strange though was my system as whole improved (vinyl playback). This lead me to believe the CDP somehow was injecting noise into my system and the mechanical isolation of the CDP with the optical cable helped.

When you write 'mechanical isolation' do you mean vibration passing along the cable and interfering in some way with the components attached to it? If you do then I'm afraid I can't see any logic in your conclusion; why would the optical cable be less prone to conducting vibration than the coax? Even if it did, the vibration conducted would be absolutely minuscule and far outweighed by vibration generated within the component itself by the transformer.

Mechanical isolation is obviously the wrong term. I understand the coax cable is more like an RCA cable with a ground connection, the optical in general is either all plastic or plastic and glass. I am assuming that the optical cable allows the CDP to, I guess, electrically? float freely from my system. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only reporting the results and my observations.

I have briefly compared the Coax and Optical with the CXC and noticed almost no difference sonically so I just continued with the optical connect. I haven't checked to see if the coax connection creates an issue with my vinyl playback yet. Just enjoying the results now :D

I remember auditioning cd transports when my brother sold his cd player since he uses his computer and DCS dac for his main listening. We heard quite a few expensive transports and there is certainly a difference, although he finally purchased the Project rs which we both thought was the best bang for your buck.

I found my original Rega Apollo to be a good transport. When I compared it to the Blu Ray DVD player the Rega was very clearly better. With the blue ray there was some distortion in the treble.

Probably because it was trying to play at 48khz - mine replays at 44.1. The performance from a cheap transport will depend on the dac and how good it is at jitter control. I'm not saying a £20 DVD player is a good as a £5k transport but it is surprisingly good given the right dac. Having upgraded a transport in the past (Micromega), I know that there can be a significant difference with some dacs.

Like the ATV3 them.I wondered whether the Apollo CD Rom type transport had something to do with the improvement. But I'm unsure as to whether a Blue Ray DVD player employs a similar transport mechanism?

I tried the cheapo DVD into quality DAC approach, and bought a well reviewed Toshiba for £60. Big mistake - tried several DACs and discs and it would cause a higher frequency distortions on certain piano tracks. Nice picture though, but now sits in the attic.

Like the ATV3 them.I wondered whether the Apollo CD Rom type transport had something to do with the improvement. But I'm unsure as to whether a Blue Ray DVD player employs a similar transport mechanism?

I use ATV3, it does output 48khz but it doesn't cause any issues. I have used it into a maplin DAC, arcam R link, MF M1, Rega and currently a Linn Numerik (via optical to coax converter) and it has always sounded great.

There is a good chance the DVD player was injecting noise that was causing issues (assuming it was connected via coax)

I What was strange though was my system as whole improved (vinyl playback). This lead me to believe the CDP somehow was injecting noise into my system and the mechanical isolation of the CDP with the optical cable helped.

Just a thought and may be not a good one!

Could this be anything to do with your cable positions, where they cross power cords and so on?

It can be as good or better though, you just haven't heard a well-sorted one.

I have actually, two. The Aurender X10 and X30.

They are pretty good and are the only ones I have heard to eat the Apollo R CD used as a transport. At their respective proce points a dedicated CD transport will likely be better still.

advertisement

Back