advertisement

Are any of us "ageist" when it comes to liking music?

I’m very bad at putting CDs back on the shelves, mainly due to the fact I have many, many more CDs than shelf-space. As such there is always a pile of 40 or more stacked up in front of each of the two systems. I’ve just gone through them and unsurprisingly most are jazz, a lot of which fairly recent (ECM, Kamasi Washington, Comet Is Coming etc). There is some classical, but the rock, pop, electronica etc is *all* from the past ten years or so. No ‘70s rock at all. The oldest thing near either system are a few Talk Talk albums as I pulled them out after Mark Hollis died. The rest is stuff like Anderson.Paak, recent Sufjan Stevens, recent Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, Beach House and a fair amount of electronica etc. The last time I played a ‘70s pop/rock record would almost certainly have been Kraftwerk, Can, Steely Dan or something of that ilk, but I can’t actually remember when it was.

I have a lot of stuff old and new on my iPhone that gets listened to with headphones on public transport, so I’m not saying I’ve entirely gone off classic rock/pop entirely, but I certainly don’t play it much. I guess I know it so I don’t need to!

You are uncannily describing me :/ less jazz though (I even currently have Steve Jarret ECM cd's next to the unit now)...

I find that many modern, popular beat combos entice and provide enjoyment now, and for many more years to come.

At the same time, a nice bit of Davis, Bowie, von Bingen or Bach can be just as "chillin", bros.

Age of the artist is never a consideration when I first hear new music. I either like it or I don’t. However, I have sometimes been surprised when I find out how young an artist is, for example Paolo Nutini. Thought he was much older.

I can understand your point if it really was vacuous chart pop, but there is a heck of a lot of rap, R&B, techno etc. I’d take well before Led Zep (though I do like Steely Dan and a fair bit of Floyd!)!

Well, well, someone else here isn't too keen on Led Zep.
I thought it was just me...

I've culled a lot of classic albums both cd and vinyl as to me there doesn't seem much point in owning them.I prefer to look forward and seek out new stuff I have not heard before , there is great new stuff out there if you seek it out.Modern jazz offerings from the uk are very good at the moment as an example if you are a jazz fan.I am now 61 and prefer not to stagnate.

I think the ageism comes from the younger generation . As we age we understand more and can listen to music without getting caught up in what the singers hair looks like . So the music stands on its merits despite the age of the artist .

Getting old can be quite liberating , there's no pressure to try and be cool anymore .

I would say I am ageist.

I find it difficult to relate to what someone half my age thinks is important in a piece of music.

I've grown older and want to feel I am on the same wavelength as someone broadly my age. There are exceptions, but in general, age is a barrier.

advertisement

Back