advertisement

Arcam rDac kw

LOZ

pfm Member
I have bought an Arcam rDac kw. (With wifi) (discontinued model) new for £250 from dealer, two year guarantee. They threw in an Arcam wifi dongle for streaming from a laptop or PC. Is this a good buy? The non wifi version is going for £230 at Superfi.

It seems a little lifeless (only second days use) but may be improving in detail and feeling on female vocals. Don't know for sure whether it's run in, ie used for dems or not but will ask tomorrow.

It's a stop gap purchase for a second system pending changes to my main system when my Leema precision dac will become spare.

On using with JRIVER 19 with gapless track change. The rDac was farting in between tracks - digital hash. The Leema and Naim V1 don't do this. This problem has been cured by setting to cross fade aggressive 0.3s.

What replacement linear PSUs are available for it at reasonable price please?

It is a good deal but only if you like what it does. I have heard it a couple of times and found it to have the typical arcam presentation. Smooth, inoffensive and easy to listen to. The Rega DAC offers more detail and insight as does the Musical fidelity M1 but they do cost more and lack wireless functionality.

Run it in for a few more days and it may come on song. I was underwhelmed with my arcam R-link DAC at first and preferred the maplin DAC. Recently I loaned the maplin DAC to a friend and pressed the arcam into service and after a couple of weeks use it started to sing.

Thanks

Not sure that I like yet but it definitely has some good attributes, having left it playing all day. The shop does Musical Fidelity so I might see if they will do something even though they said no return at the price.

I was aware of the Arcam sound but took a gamble. That's why I have not bought their gear before, having gone for Naim in the past, and now Leema. There is one exception - I have their analogue TV Nicam Sound tuner (now unusable, if anybody wants it for parts or other?).

advertisement

Back