advertisement

Arcam FMJ D33 DAC, need opinion

Just buy a refurbished nait 2 & go fishing.

Problem is early Nait prices has gone mad recently.

A Nait 5i is much more reasonable priced s/h, no slouch either - not the last word in revealing performance but nice universal amp.
No thin midrange provided this isn't coming from source, cables, setup etc.

Another contender for Vgood midpriced amps are one of the half width Rega's.

I use desktop PC with Foobar via Atlas USB cable into D33 high speed USB socket. Output is Arcam Asio. Everything as it should from that side.

Thanks for advice regarding passive pre plus amp. Don't know, but maybe little old Nait is the safest harbour for me.

By the way, I am not defending the Arcam. But I wouldn't expect a transistor amplifier with low output impedance to produce anything but flat response with run-of-the-mill speakers.

Unless your previous amplifier was very rich in the midbass (e.g. Modwright) then in my view it is definitely the P5s that are the cause of your issues.

Per, thank you very much.

Tuga, yesterday I've been listen to P5 with two different amps and different source. P5 speakers are really great. A little bit boxy, but nothing special. I can hear their cabinets, but no more than I can hear it with Neat's. Everything else is big surprise for the price. Their metal dome tweeter is miles better than any other I hear before, especially the one from Epos.

advertisement

Back