advertisement

arcam cd 192 not trying to read discs

gwynne61

looking for some help with a problem on my Arcam CD192. It has had the laser replaced twice in recent years by Arcam due to skipping and disc read problems. Of late it has been fussy over reading certain discs, upon putting the discs into my bluray player and car cd they work fine.

A few weeks ago I did the usual checks on the laser lens and associated mechanism which both seemed fine to my untrained eye and the player was working mostly well except for occasional disc read and skip problems, usually on the 1st track of a cd.

Last night I gave thought to replacing the entire lens mechanism as it seems straightforward and quite cheap for what was a fairly costly bit of kit. I removed the lid and made a note of the lens number and mechanism reference, but didn't actually touch and of the gubbins. It has now decided to play up and the drawer closes and the display then reads close, but there seems to be no attempt to read any disc and the drawer usually pops open a few seconds later.

My thoughts are either the lens is totally shot or a sensor that tells it to read the disc has played up.

Sounds like you've jiggled something loose when the unit was apart. I'd disconnect it, give all the wires inside a fiddle, pop it back together and see what happens. There is usually a microswitch which tells the player that the drive has closed. Check this whilst you're at it.

Probably something simple that's causing problems...

Cesare

Thanks Cesare, I've tried to see if anything obvious is loose and of course it all looks well, if I could work out which is the possibly guilty micro switch it may help, but schematic diagrams are a mystery to me.

I haven't had a chance to replace the mechanism yet, will be ordering the part soon. At the moment the laser does not try to read discs as the tray is closing, but a message of close is on the display, so something is telling the player that the drawer is still open.

Update on this annoying issue, I've changed the entire cd laser mechanism and still the player says close on the display and does not attempt to read discs.

Any ideas as to the cause of the problem? My logic is saying tray micro switches but I have no idea where they may be located.

Sounds like the turntable motor is not spinning the disc.

Have you observed what happens with the lid off when the disk is loaded?

Yes I've had a look, absolutely nothing happens. The laser doesn't move or make any attempt to read the disc, also the disc doesn't spin at all. I think the mechanism should lift up slightly, but something seems to tell it the drawer isn't closed.

OK, in that case it would seem that the problem is with either the turntable motor, or the electronics that actuate it, or possibly the micro switch triggered by the loading drawer when it closes.

I've never been inside that player, but I'd start by putting a meter on the microswitch, and on the motor terminals.

advertisement

Back