advertisement

Arcam A60/Rothwell Rialto/Pro-Ject Xpression 3 distorted sound

Daniel:
It might well be that you have the AP version. Is the DIN socket at the Aux position upside down in relation to the other three DIN ? When you open it up there might be another "card" mounted by the DIN socket. If it is an AP a shorting DIN plug would then link the pre-amp circuit to the power amp circuit. ( Aha edited reply as crossing in the ethernet with Craig )

Just a general note - A&R did change the printed screening on the back for the AP versions but in the end did not produce an Aux printed version thereafter - causes some confusion all round but the upside down DIN is the big giveaway.

I hope you can get it all to work and sound great - its worth persevering.
Thanks for sharing, Julian. I've long wondered what the AP tell was.

arcam_ar_60_cambridge_1570771146_425513f2.jpg

@DanielP,

A fellow in Bedfordshire has some eBay BINs for A60AP+ link plugs at GBP 7.75...

He also does 'Y' connector cables that allow for 2 line level inputs to be connected to the socket labelled TUNER, i.e. on AP versions TUNER becomes TUNER/AUX (or TUNER/CD on later versions) with pins 1 and 4 providing a second input (in addition to the standard TUNER input that is on pins 3 and 5) such that one still has 3 line level inputs plus phono. The AUX (or CD) button on front switches to these pin ins.

Folk complain about DIN input sockets, however, these have always allowed for far more flexible connection options than plain old cinch plugs. Very efficient use of space too; 3 x 5-pin DIN sockets could easily provide 5 line level inputs plus record out.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yep, the din plug is upside down. This sounds like it’s my problem, apologies for leaving out some crucial information earlier on.

Thanks both for your help, I’ll figure out the shorting din plug and report back.

Yep, the din plug is upside down. This sounds like it’s my problem, apologies for leaving out some crucial information earlier on.

Thanks both for your help, I’ll figure out the shorting din plug and report back.
No need to apologize, @Operajulian was likely the only fellow on here who knew that.

We all learn something new now and again.

Anyway, here's hoping that you have smooth sailing from here on in.

Just reporting back on this one. I got the required din plug to link the preamp circuit to the power amp circuit and it works perfectly. Sounds amazing.

thanks all for your help, really do appreciate your expertise and time.

advertisement

Back