advertisement

AR-XA turntable

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I've just acquired an Acoustic Research ( original, American made ) turntable. I had one in the 1970s. I wish I hadn't sold it... i cannot recall what cartrigde I used in it. Probably a MM, perhaps a Shure. Any ideas what to use ? presumably MC cartridges are out. Martyn Miles .

You prob had a Shure M75 or M95. There's a thread on M97s going cheap at Amazon USA, failing that our friend the AT95 is a decent, musical MM cheapie that goes in most light arms.

The original AR mat was probably rubber/plastic foam and will certainly have rotted to unusability by this time (may look fine until the moment you touch it).

The original AR mat was a sort of sponge as I recall. The NAS Spacemat or the thinner (of the two) Rega mats (Planar 3 stylee) would be good replacements.

I'm currently using a little used ADC XLM III, it's higher output and 1.3g playing weight giving me a little more life and "balls" compared to the mk2, V15MR and Sonus Blue cartridges I've been using. I only mention this because the AR arm (with "matchbox" shell) LOVED the XLM II and III and they can still be bought from Bluz Broz in the US. NOS styli are available too.

Modern equivalents? the AT 440MLa may have uneven wear as the bias is "sort of" bodged with bearing friction and arm cable dressing and won't be enough I feel. The eliptical version at £50 or less on fleabay would be fine I suspect, but you need something that tracks at 1.2g or so - The Shure M97xe series would be fine if you could find a cheap way of importing one from the US (there's a thread in the audio room I think) but you MUST load it correctly, or lose treble output ("analogue" people like a rolled off treble I've found......).

The see-saw stylus "scales" were superb and I've got some somewhere. They're extremely accurate in the increments they supplied (better than my Shure balance) and almost as good as the Michel scales I still have somewhere. They're a doddle to use too.

Such a nice item to pick up and use that Martyn. Remember them with the sponge mat. Very good they were /are too.

Actually, I think the sponge mat was for the later 77XB model, complete with rocking inner platter and flimsy headshell, in an attempt to tart it up. (early UK Legends had the bad bearing too, but this was quickly sorted, transforming the deck into a now forgotten masterpiece, especially the Jelco armed EB101 version which was Planar 2 price as I remember).

Thanks for all that on mats, etc. My memory from what I ran in the mid '70s is non-existent ! I suspect a Shure M75EJ or ED . I've been recommended an Audio Technica model, but don't recall which one. I've written it somewhere... I forgot I would need a stylus pressure gauge as well. No doubt my friend Nigel Pearson of Loricraft has one. I shall look forward to setting it all up. I even had a reply from Ken Kessler re. the AR. I remember him fitting 'Merrill Mods' (?) in the early '80s to one of his ARs. I believe he has one original & one modded. Martyn Miles .

Great site and a potentially great deck if you ignore modern "lore" regarding tonearms.

I wonder if Audio Origami would be willing to offer fresh re-wiring options?

More XA developments. My friend, Nigel Pearson of Loricraft, recommended trying a Shure M 44-7 cartridge & also trying a Loricraft cork mat. A bit early, as I don't have new belt yet. Also, the top plate has a rather 'bubbly' surface. The previous owner had stored the AR in the loft, and he wondered if a hot loft had affected the paintwork. I will need to separate the plate from the plinth and see if it can be re-sprayed. I've located a Shure M75 ED catridge with an Expert stylus. Seems like a good match, from the advice I've been given. Expert Pickups have given me a good service over the years. I think the XA will prove to be a Winter project... Martyn Miles .

Weren't they slightly "speckled" in finish from new?

A Shure of this vintage won't do the deck justice M44-7 indeed! It tracks too heavy and sounded dire back in the '70's with its old fashioned sucked out response!. Please consider the 97xe or ADC XLM II imp/XLM III advice from someone who sold them *and listened to them too* at the time - The arm works best at 1.25g tops. Any more and the "bias correction" doesn't work. Styli are available for these too.

Expert do a great job, but on a 75ED? A bit beneath them I'd have thought, as Shure hadn't yet worked on the magnet system to get rid of the suckout. I'd rather have an ortofon VMS20/cap210...... By all means try the cork mat, as the platter is lightweight and it should work well - how does it go on a Thorens?

I don't mean to sound grumpy or disrespectful to your contacts and maybe my opinion of AR turntables is too high (I'm informed a Rega 2 or 3 creams 'em........)

Thanks, DJSR. I had a M75 EJ ( then later with an ED stylus ) in my XA in the '70s. OK, it was a little 'depressed ' in the midrange. It didn't quite match my BC1s with their 'BBC resonse' , but on brighter speakers I liked it. I seem to recall tracking at 1.5 g. Expert Pickups are aware of the response 'dip' as a characteristic of the model, but experience of users say it isn't so noticeable when using their styli. There is a beneficial increase in sound quality. As I'm making up a classic system I would like to stay with a Shure. I haven't finally decided on the amplifier. I'll be using a Pro-Ject 7 amp. for the time being. I shall run the system into pair of Jim Rogers custom-built speakers he made for the Wilson Stereo Library. An interesting 'one-off' pair I acquired. I will share my findings on the speakers when I've had more time to evaluate them . Martyn Miles .

I listened to an M75EJ years ago against an AT 110E - no contest, the AT ate it for breakfast.

Don't forget, the arm has an influence. I know from experience one cartridge will work & sound good in one arm & different in another. The SME (original) arm & Shure M75ED? The music from Herbert von Karajan touched me. Same arm & Ortofon MC10 ? It worked. It produced music, but somehow not to touch the emotions . MC10 & Rega 250 arm ? Music & emotions conveyed . The turntable ? It was Thorens TD 160. AR/XA with own arm with M75 EJ in the '70s ? Music conveyed. Emotions touched. Martyn Miles .

That's true and why it's so hard to come up with true conclusions. I can see why an SME/Shure worked (light arm, high complince cart) when the SME/MC10 didn't (lower compliance, light arm, tail starts wagging the dog). I've no experience, nor have I the figures, but the theory there is sound. I think most of the decent but not silly price decks/arms like this were engineered round MMs like the Shure, which is why I quoted the AT110, that and the AT95 being in some ways the late 80s/90s answer to the Shure, fitted to thousands or Regas and duals (and better). Comparing MMs in the same arm *ought* to be a bit safer but as you say no guarantee.

The 75-EJ worked well in systems of the period and my first true musical epiphany was hearing "Phaedra" by Tangerine Dream on an EJ in a GL75 into JBL L26's. I still haven't recovered thirty five years or so later (it shows..................).

Any other oldie compared the 75-ED to the 91-ED. I'm convinced the latter sounded better...........

I'm currently enjoying an ADC XLM III (NOS) in my "direct drive" Dual 701. The higher output works a treat, surface noise is low and at 1.3g the tracking's alright too.

I had a M75EJ on my old L75. I had a copy of Phaedra too (and I still do, a nice UK 1st pressing).

Tony.

I've now got the AX 'up & running'. I'd forgotten what a fiddle to set the appropriate tracking weight. My brother lent me a nice Shure stylus gauge, so I got there. The new belt was fitted, the bearings ( arm & main ) lubricated and 'off I went', with the 75ED with the Expert tip fitted. I initially used my Pro-Ject 7 amp. Bit of a fiddle to change from MC to MM . Off with the lid and in with the side cutters & soldering iron ! Using my LS3/5as I had to hand I was pleasantly surprised. No Linn, but no turkey. A well known LP , which I had previousy played on the Linn, sounded good. Smooth & perhaps a little laid back, but musical. I had to abandon after that because of circumstances, and WAF came into play. " Another turntable! You didn't say it was going in here. Where am I going to put ny glass bowl? I didn't like that CD player there , with its 'bits' on." ( The bits are sides to fit a standard pro. rack ). Semi-pro is my other interest. After 'discussion' I agreed to set up the XA when my Wife is watching TV. ( What a waste of time, 'telly'.) She's in Germany soon, so more reports to come! I have an unusual pair of Rogers' speakers, a 'one-off ' pair Jim Rogers built. I don't think I've reported on these on this Forum yet. ( Memory going..) I have extensively reported on the Yahoo LS3/5a site. If anyone is interested log on to it and search for 'Unusual Rogers' Speakers'. Martyn Miles .

Blimey, the "Spendor" one's bad enough :D

The thing about these old decks is that they should get the obvious bits right and cover their tracks well on subtleties they can't quite manage. The XA does this well I think, along with the TD150 and GL75 for example.

WAF can be a PITA. I've just bought a pair of drivers for my knackered BC2's from TM and can't wait to get them going again. What "herself" will think of them I really don't know...

Martyn, off topic, but how have you dealt with the crumbling sponge "cushioning" at the grille edges? The cloth is stuck on the frets and I dread having to remove it...

advertisement

Back