advertisement

AR CD-06SE - any experience?

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
Another cheap TDA1541A based CD player acquisition recently - Acoustic Research CD-06SE (don't think there was ever a non-SE version?!). Photos below.

Basic Philips main board, with a dedicated custom (& stupidly encapsulated) output stage and remote volume PCB being the only AR input. Look how they even moved the original Philips PCB into the chassis rather than remove the original sockets :)

Anyone heard one? Not listened yet, will give it a try over the weekend...not expecting much, but happy to be surprised :)

Thanks, Richard

Less and less respected (by me) CDM4 mech - they go on for ever, but are a bit agricultural;
51188885742_5bcdfa4acb_k.jpg

Basically a base model Philips, with a lot of stuff removed - definitely needs a recap (but still works);
51190659040_3acfd74ff6_k.jpg

Whole thing;
51189807333_d205019da5_k.jpg

Output board, apart from transformer, only AR designed thing;
51189593286_553364a14d_k.jpg

Last edited:
Another cheap TDA1541A based CD player acquisitiuon recently - A&R Cambridge CD-06SE

It's not A&R Cambridge (i.e Arcam). It's AR, as in Acoustic Research, American company better known for speakers (and turntables actually). :) I do remember that these CD players got good reviews back in the day.

Reminds me of the Mission PCM II that I just acquired. It too is a mid-range Philips with a custom output board bolted in.

It's not A&R Cambridge (i.e Arcam). It's AR, as in Acoustic Research, American company better known for speakers (and turntables actually). :) I do remember that these CD players got good reviews back in the day.

Oops, sorry :)

And now corrected for posterity.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Mission PCM II that I just acquired. It too is a mid-range Philips with a custom output board bolted in.

One of those is on my watchlist too Mike...I used to repair them for Lasky's :)

Acoustic Research.
Mike is Right.
It’s actually a Philips player in disguise, with a fancy analogue stage. It had an excellent reputation back then (late 80’s).
A good ‘un.

From the era when most domestic audio manufacturers knew how to make amps, etc, but all this digital engineering was new and expertise scarce. So a lot of early players bought in the digital tech and tweaked the stuff they understood, ie the analogue output stages.

advertisement

Back