advertisement

AR 4x

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Just auditioning a pair of these babies. Remarkably the main cone surrounds are intact and look like they might be the fabric ones so dodged a bullet there. Then one tweeter was down but that is due to the attenuator on the back having dodgy contacts. Will switch cleaner sort it or that a no no on these?

I’d try switch cleaner, but work on the assumption less is more. They are great speakers, really good fun.

All of the AR speakers of that era - early 1970s - had foam surrounds (the primary "suspension" for the woofers was the air inside the box). Those may have been re-foamed (or, in this case, re-clothed).

Are they as good as I think they are ?
My overriding memory of the 4x is listening to them in record shop in the 1970s.
I was well impressed !

Thinking some more I recall reading that the internal wadding of ARs of this period actually caused corrosion in some of the switches. Pretty sure it’s the 3A I’m thinking of. As such I’d try to pop the switch out for a look if it is possible and if it is obvious corroded then replace it.

All of the AR speakers of that era - early 1970s - had foam surrounds (the primary "suspension" for the woofers was the air inside the box). Those may have been re-foamed (or, in this case, re-clothed).
Perhaps they had various suppliers, mine had doped fabric suspension purchased new in 1973.
IMO the Heybrook HB2s which replaced them sounded better.

advertisement

Back