advertisement

Apple v Microsoft

This is where google is a bum, various forums said microsoft security essentials was not available for servers, but apparently they updated it.

So anyhow thats installed now. Its all just a bit of fun.

I have a friend who has spent thousands of pounds to become a certified microsoft engineer but even he says things like well you could try Norton or Mcafee etc when you have a problem. As opposed to saying this is how to sort the problem. What other product would you accept at this level of reliability?

I don't use anything more than the builtin windows defender on my PC's at home and I run 2x laptops, 1x desktop and a VMware lab of 4x host servers running around 22x Linux/windows virtual servers.

I do however have a very nice Cisco ASA running firewall, anti-malware and IPS so feel quite safe.

There's lots of ways to approach a problem, secure your edge and you don't have to worry about the inside. Even basic firewalls can provide good protection for your home PC's against viruses and malware nowadays.

I don't use anything more than the builtin windows defender on my PC's at home and I run 2x laptops, 1x desktop and a VMware lab of 4x host servers running around 22x Linux/windows virtual servers.

I do however have a very nice Cisco ASA running firewall, anti-malware and IPS so feel quite safe.

There's lots of ways to approach a problem, secure your edge and you don't have to worry about the inside. Even basic firewalls can provide good protection for your home PC's against viruses and malware nowadays.

This is the way Microsoft look at the problem that it is the customers problem to make their product work.
We now live in a world where customers open the lid of their laptops and expect to carry on instantly where they shut the lid.

I quite like it, and it's easily the most stable version of Windows I've ever used.

I'd agree - I still don't like the slippy-slidey interface so I use Start8 to give me a Windows 7 type start menu, but I've had 8 installed since it came out and haven't once reinstalled*, which was never the situation with earlier versions.

Mick

*I did upgrade to 8.1 but don't really consider that a reinstall.

I have a friend who has spent thousands of pounds to become a certified microsoft engineer but even he says things like well you could try Norton or Mcafee etc when you have a problem. As opposed to saying this is how to sort the problem. What other product would you accept at this level of reliability?
Norton or MacAfee are usually the problem. Your friend is either pulling your leg or has wasted his money.

Paul

If you like being the weirdo in the room, try using a Windows laptop in a trendy London coffee-shop. It looks like Macs are compulsory for students now.

I don't really get this windows bashing, I never ever get virus's nor any problems, it's runs programmes I enjoy using like lightroom etc, I have windows server to listen to all my music, it has foobar, XBMC, it does everything I want without problems.

Windows 8.1 is the best operating system they had for me personally, it boots up the fastest time, it looks the most modern, it's easy to use and navigate. I have no training in IT and find windows simple to use.

Basically Windows 8.1 gets criticized by people who don't like change, who don't want to change those old tatty slippers because they feel so comfortable in them, anything else is just not as comfortable and gets criticized.

I don't really get this windows bashing, I never ever get virus's nor any problems, it's runs programmes I enjoy using like lightroom etc, I have windows server to listen to all my music, it has foobar, XBMC, it does everything I want without problems.

Windows 8.1 is the best operating system they had for me personally, it boots up the fastest time, it looks the most modern, it's easy to use and navigate. I have no training in IT and find windows simple to use.

Basically Windows 8.1 gets criticized by people who don't like change, who don't want to change those old tatty slippers because they feel so comfortable in them, anything else is just not as comfortable and gets criticized.

My tatty old slippers are windows7 and windows 8 although i would not say they are comfortable with pop ups and adware working in the background. I have tried to them remove with limited success. With the size of the market i am surprised that someone has not come up with something better.

Apple v Microsoft

No such such thing. MS is dead. Anyone disagreeing either works for them or is in the public sector and has a vested interest .

Martin

I think if there was an opportunity to reboot the whole of the world, MS would not be top of the corporate tree, neither would apple I suspect.

I persisted with Windows PCs at home until about three years ago. I found them exasperating on two fronts. First, for reasons I cannot understand the O/S just piles on more stuff onto itself until it slows to a grind. It runs processes that I don't start and some processes seem to consume a great deal of CPU without rationale. Second, it is a chore to connect anything to a PC, even things like a printer or modem-router require multiple steps of user intervention. I don't think I've had a PC that I was truly happy with. The last one, a Toshiba laptop, now hangs when I try to boot it up.

We have two Macs at home now. They seem much more stable. My MBA takes the same 10 seconds to boot up from cold now as it did over two years ago. I use MS-Office on both machines. Nothing seems to get in the way of my user experience. Even taking the MBA overseas with me was a breeze. They just work for those disinclined to fiddle.

A late friend of mine (he died a month after sending me this) responded to my question about Macs not suffering viruses with this, in 2008. I'm not sure how true it is as I'm clueless.

"I have taken some liberties with the following for brevity
Mac OS X is basically a UNIX-like system based on BSD UNIX and the core MACH kernel developed in the mid 80s at Carnegie Mellon university.

Yep Tony your friend was right. Another reason why is because that Unix system was, from the very beginning, intended as a multi-user platform thus is inherently more secure.

The only issue I have with windows in our home environment is its occasional desire to update which actually quits apps even when you are using them! especially upsetting when in the middle of an on line gaming battle!

And of course, there is not a pretty PC on earth, meaning I have to find cunning ways to hide them. I blagged a couple of Dell SFF pcs recently so have been able to hide them pretty well.

I use a box called adtrap

getadtrap.com

It's basically an ad centric firewall that hacks out adverts and malware, pop ups and blocks calls home to servers that are a little too chatty. It let's you use as supported apps without ads and it costs off funding opportunities for websites trying to monetise themselves using google! it basically makes you a freeloader. It blocks ads on devices that do their best to keep ads running like iPads and it removes huge chunks of visual clutter, it updates automatically and keeps ahead of all methods to circumvent it. It also makes using Windows a lot nicer and a lot less malware visible because all IP is shrouded using wrappers inside the box. very clever bit of kit had it a couple of years now and aside from the occasional reboot its great.

Ps yes it can be allowed to pass ads via PFM through. better still I can block the dailymail.co.uk and vile links people post... Half the links Arye and 7v post are sliced off at the source. I never got to see the beheading video, it's like a parental control for grown ups.

...though as Fox says please don't block pfm! Ad revenue (particularly from VigLink) is tanking this year, revenue is probably half what it was last year despite no drop in traffic, which is most annoying and may mean I have little alternate but to make ads rather more obvious or start charging for the classified room.

advertisement

Back