advertisement

Apple Mac help…

Many thanks everybody for your valued thoughts!
Made a TM backup as some personal and valuable data there as well as photos etc.
All my photos will now be on a specific external drive so will perform a new install and select what apps I really need and take it from there. Will keep you updated so watch this space!
A new install? For what reason? Depending upon date of build, a new Mac Studio M2 will have either macOS 13.4 Ventura, or macOS 14 Sonoma, pre-installed. You will know that this is a new install when you first start the machine and it automatically runs Setup Assistant; can't get newer than that.

Time machine is flexible. In addition to migration assistant and macOS restore you can also restore specific items.

DV
Considering that TM was released with OS X 10.5 Leopard back in October, 2007, it still amazes me how well this has aged (no pun intentional).

Here is an Internet Archive, WayBackMachine save of 'Apple OSX and Time Machine Tips' by James Pond (RIP). Mr. Pond detailed the inner workings of TM, particularly so, within his 'How Time Machine Works its Magic' which focuses on the file system event store and hard links.

...and here is an unofficial mirror that will allow faster navigation than will web.archive.org...

Last edited:
I used Migration when my wife got a new MBP and it worked fine but personally I would avoid Migration; I keep my data and information stored in a way that makes it easy to move across or sync with iCloud.

I am also averse to Mac OS upgrades so I always do a clean install.

Many thanks everybody for your valued thoughts!
Made a TM backup as some personal and valuable data there as well as photos etc.
All my photos will now be on a specific external drive so will perform a new install and select what apps I really need and take it from there. Will keep you updated so watch this space!
I recommend that you buy another external drive to keep a copy of your photos. You never know…

I recommend that you buy another external drive to keep a copy of your photos. You never know…
Be good to know what size storage the OP's Studio has (minimum is 512GB on M2 Max, and 1TB on M2 Ultra). Should there be sufficient internal storage to accommodate his photos library then, with the 4TB external that he just got, he may as well store his photos on the Mac and use the external for TM backups. Keep in mind that SSDs can maintain performance up to just shy of 100% capacity.

Thanks again everyone! The Studio has 512gb, but have bought a Satechi hub/stand which is where photos etc. will be stored on a 2tb SSD. Will double backup photos to an external drive “just in case”!

Thanks again everyone! The Studio has 512gb, but have bought a Satechi hub/stand which is where photos etc. will be stored on a 2tb SSD. Will double backup photos to an external drive “just in case”!
I do like the look of that Satechi hub/stand. Not sure about it allowing enough airflow for a Studio though. Suggest using something like Hot.app (free) to monitor CPU temp for a while, just to make sure.

Last edited:
Best backup strategy is on-site/offsite. Use a local TM backup for recovering from finger trouble.

First month take a full backup (excluding the TM volume) onto SSD-A and store that with a friend or neighbour.

The next month take another onto SSD-B, now you have two a month apart in different locations.

The next month swap SSD-B for SSD-A, and do a new backup onto SSD-A. Rinse and repeat.

Adjust to your usage/temperament.

A take on Grandfather, Father, Son (GFS) backup rotation strategy, with the son being truly singular, as the same storage media (i.e. TM drive) is updated every weekday (rather than a 'set' for each weekday that get recycled on the same weekday of each week).

Used to require 7 sets of backup tapes minimum. Nine sets were better as the G and F could be truly kept off site via 1 for 1 exchanges. I've still got a couple of NOS 3M data cartridges sitting here that never made it into G or F rotation.

advertisement

Back