advertisement

Apple Mac help…

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
…please. Am moving from an aging Mac Mini to a new Mac Studio M2. Mainly used for photography stuff and general use and have got a 6tb WD external HDD to put all my pics on, so do I just set the new one up as a new system?
Have read about a migration feature but can I use this with only one screen?
Cheers in advance!

Migration Assistant can be used to transfer content from one Mac to another over wi-fi and/or ethernet, however, one can transfer content from a Time Machine backup instead. If no TM backup, then with the one monitor you'll want to enable desktop sharing on the mini such that you can access its desktop from the Studio. This is necessary, as one typically initiates Migration Assistant from the destination (i.e. new) Mac and then also run Migration Assistant on the old (i.e. a bit of back and forth between to two machines to get the process started). With Screen Sharing going one can do all from the one machine.

Share the screen of another Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh14066/14.0/mac/14.0
Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Perhaps the simplest for migration assistant is to borrow a display (and keyboard) to use during the switchover. Another option is a terminal switch where you connect your keyboard and display to the switch and connect to the machine you need to interact with but these are not at all common these days.

But everyone should have a backup so I'd suggest creating a backup partition on your external drive, do a timemachine backup to that partition. Then connect the display, keyboard and drive to the new machine and restore from the backup partition. Create a 2nd partition for TM backups from the M2 and when you are happy you have migrated successfully you can recycle the transfer partition.

Cheers! Got a 4tb external hdd coming today for a TM backup (important stuff backed up already) then will take it from there. Thanks again.

If you can start fresh I would do that. As you are doing just copy the pictures from one to the other via the external harddrive.

If you can start fresh I would do that. As you are doing just copy the pictures from one to the other via the external harddrive.

I agree, avoids installing a potential heap of space guzzling redundant bits from the old machine,
Also provide the opportunity to install the OS on its own partition (if it isn't already) with data such as pics, tunes, etc on another .

Makes TM back ups of OS a comparatively speedy breeze as well as re-installation should things go pear shaped.
Time consuming data backup to an external is also simplified and taken out of the TM system.

Currently performing back up now - 22 hours to go!

Newbie questio - probably be Thursday when I set up new Mac - how do I install OS on its own partition, on how much space should that partition be given please?

Newbie questio - probably be Thursday when I set up new Mac - how do I install OS on its own partition, on how much space should that partition be given please?

What I do for a fresh install, others may vary:
( this does not include migrating from the old system!!)

Install Mac OS and set up on whole drive (ignoring prompts to copy from old Mac or TM!!) , after this I add programmes I use.
Then go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Click on the relevant drive (probs only the one on your new Mac)
Look at the size taken up by the OS; choose 'Partition' at the top of the window and add a new partition. Before you commit, resize the OS partition (I generally double the 'used' amount)
Commit and wait (usually quite quick)
After that you can rename the data partition and/or reformat if you wish (default is APFS)

Job Done ;)

Apologies If I forgot a stage !

Last edited:
One caveat with Migration Assistant that is worth noting is that should the same named account already exist on the new machine then MA will offer the option to either 'Rename' or 'Replace', with the former creating a new renamed version of the old account separate from the existing same name account on the new Mac. If one intends to choose 'Replace' then one should first backed any new/unique user files that are on the new machine for subsequent inclusion within the new account.
  • Rename: The account on your old Mac will appear as an additional user on your new Mac, with a separate login and home folder.
  • Replace: The account on your old Mac will replace the identically named account on your new Mac.

What I do for a fresh install, others may vary:
( this does not include migrating from the old system!!)

Install Mac OS and set up on whole drive (ignoring prompts to copy from old Mac or TM!!) , after this I add programmes I use.
Then go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Click on the relevant drive (probs only the one on your new Mac)
Look at the size taken up by the OS; choose 'Partition' at the top of the window and add a new partition. Before you commit, resize the OS partition (I generally double the 'used' amount)
Commit and wait (usually quite quick)
After that you can rename the data partition and/or reformat if you wish (default is APFS)

Job Done ;)

Apologies If I forgot a stage !
Apple recommend against creating multiple partitions on APFS drives, instead, it is suggested that users create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition. These additional volumes, described as APFS containers can have different versions of macOS on, or simply be consigned as data storage. Starting with macOS 10.15 Catalina, Apple introduced 'volume groups' (within volume containers), with the default group having both system and data volumes within, this as much for security as efficiency and flexibility (as the system volume is set to read-only, with to and fro access via hardlinks).

From Apple:
"On your computer, macOS is installed on a set of volumes known as a volume group. The volume group consists of one volume used for the system files (named Macintosh HD) and another volume used for data (named Macintosh HD - Data)."

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/disk-utility/dskutl14027/mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/disk-utility/dskua9e6a110/22..6/mac/14.0

One of the best explanations of both APFS containers and APFS volume groups is this one by Bombich Software, the creators of Carbon Copy Cloner (an outfit that had to get up to speed quickly post introduction of APFS)...

Working with APFS Volume Groups

Last edited:
Apple recommend against creating multiple partitions on APFS drives, instead, it is suggested that users create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition. These additional volumes, described as APFS containers can have different versions of macOS on, or simply be consigned as data storage. Starting with macOS 10.15 Catalina, Apple introduced 'volume groups' (within volume containers), with the default group having both system and data volumes within, this as much for security as efficiency and flexibility (as the system volume is set to read-only, with to and fro access via hardlinks).

From Apple:
"On your computer, macOS is installed on a set of volumes known as a volume group. The volume group consists of one volume used for the system files (named Macintosh HD) and another volume used for data (named Macintosh HD - Data)."

Thanks for pointing that out Craig,
To be honest I was aware of Apple's preference, however I have experienced absolutely zero problems running with separate partitions or running different formats side by side (APFS and HFS or exFAT even) and have been doing a fair few years now. Seems to have no detrimental impact whatsoever on the OS partition's structure inc. data set.

TM works fine for OS partition backup but using an APFS data frame for media files etc opens its own can of worms in use that I literally can't be assed with and have zilch interest in suffering. Separate HFS and/or exFAT data partitions on the same drive work just fine for me despite what current Apple dogma might be ;)

That said, I only have Intel Macs at the mo' - M1/M2 is probably a different beast in the pond ... but I find my time with Apple is finally approaching it's end either way; simply no fun anymore :confused:

Last edited:
Apologies for introducing the word partition into the thread. Am old school and that's what they used to be called. I do indeed have a APFS drive with containers of volumes. But so far as possible keep your stuff away from system stuff and backups and migration become so much simpler.

The principal complication is paid-for installed apps, migrating those and their customizations can be a pain if you don't just take the simple step of doing everything. Caveat, I've not migrated between Macs in years, I'm very out of touch. My last migration was from a failing machine so I had to do it from backups because that is what there was.

Thanks for pointing that out Craig,
To be honest I was aware of Apple's preference, however I have experienced absolutely zero problems running with separate partitions or running different formats side by side (APFS and HFS or exFAT even) and have been doing a fair few years now. Seems to have no detrimental impact whatsoever on the OS partition's structure inc. data set.

TM works fine for OS partition backup but using an APFS data frame for media files etc opens its own can of worms in use that I literally can't be assed with and have zilch interest in suffering. Separate HFS and/or exFAT data partitions on the same drive work just fine for me despite what current Apple dogma might be ;)

That said, I only have Intel Macs at the mo' - M1/M2 is probably a different beast in the pond ...
I wasn't meaning to insinuate that there was anything particularly wrong with the information in your post, Mike.

On the other hand, I did wish to convey to the OP that he needn't stray beyond additional volume(s) within the existing volume container, particularly so, on what is a single SSD within his Studio.

As you mentioned mixing and matching HFS and/or exFAT on the same drive, I will only point out that additional volumes, rather than partitions, helps ensure that the file system remains as APFS which offers a far superior space allocation system for SSDs, plus the potential advantage of all volumes within the same container sharing available space. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there will come a time when, looking back, it will be obvious that APFS (and to a lesser or equal extent, Ext4... likely Ext5...on Linux) will have had SSDs lasting far longer than the likes of HFS+, NTFS and/or exFAT possibly can (collectively, henceforth to be known as SSD killers).

Its really hard to ignore onedrive and the likes nowerdays, yes there is a cost, but office 365 is amazing value and with 1 mega fonzy of storage space, all this harddrive shuffling and backups are gone.

I wasn't meaning to insinuate that there was anything particularly wrong with the information in your post, Mike.

Didn't take it that way at all Craig - sorry if my post came across like that. I know your posts are nothing less than very sound advice grounded in thorough knowledge. I have also absolutely no doubt that Apple know the very best way to maximise their machines and software and produce an excellent ecosystem that attracts an enormous base of more than satisfied users... (although they should do given the prices!!)

Any rancour in my post is solely misplaced resentment at the direction they are going as their developments continue to close off a whole range of options for customisation that have given me a lot of pleasure over the decades and were a lot more fun than simply using a very efficient and reliable workhorse for the day-to-day .... but hey - time marches on, the only constant is change, etc etc etc

May look into using volumes in more detail at some point but I have other plans for a set-up either way. Don't really do much intensive at all with computers since retiring so the latest bestest fastest securest has little attraction for me. I can play music via a Pi, take and edit photos on my phone as well as doing the usual internet stuff (email, shopping, and wasting my life surfing). None of that requires much muscle ....

I'm not really understanding why the OP is doing a back up?

What do you need off the old mac? If its photos then just copy them to your new drive?

I agree here.

Do you use iCloud? And use an iPhone? If so just make sure the old mac is updated and synced.

Then just follow the prompts on the new studio, it will do everything for you. its soo easy these days.

Then simply point the studio to your external HD backup for your files (photos, documents etc) that you want to use on the new machine.

Personally I’d import these onto the studio and then use iCloud to sync those too, then use the external drive as an additional TM back up device.

Keep in mind that your new Mac will have the current macOS preinstalled and ready to use straight from of the box. Your only hurdle is how you wish to get your existing data onto this machine, hence your asking your original questions. As you are performing a TM backup now, your absolute easiest route is to use this as source for Migration Assistant. If you wish to start fresh on the apps side you can simply uncheck 'Applications' on the 'Select information to transfer' screen. Any Mail (settings and messages), Calendar (settings and data), Safari (settings and bookmarks), Photos (settings and photos database), Music (settings and music database) will still be included along with the contents of your home folders. Should you wish to move a large photos database to another storage location, for example, this can be easily achieved post completion of migration. There really are no negatives here, especially so for someone who needs to ask such questions in the first place (not meant as a slight, mind, only as reality check).

On the technical side, things have moved on from the multi-partition days, a necessity with SSDs, for the good of SSDs. Post migration, if you wish to add a new volume to the internal storage for your photos, for example, follow the instructions here. If you wish to move your Photos library (assuming you are using this) to either a new volume on your internal storage, or to an external storage device, follow the instructions here.

Last edited:
Many thanks everybody for your valued thoughts!
Made a TM backup as some personal and valuable data there as well as photos etc.
All my photos will now be on a specific external drive so will perform a new install and select what apps I really need and take it from there. Will keep you updated so watch this space!

advertisement

Back