advertisement

Apple Mac and Squeezebox and Catalina (latest Mac OS) - SOLUTION

ExtremePie

pfm Member
Hi All,

there have been some threads here and elsewhere on the relative merits of Catalina, and the Logitech media Server's inability to see libraries / scan music files. One poster said he would need to revert to Mojave (previous Apple OS) to get he hi-fi working again.

I can't speak for every build and every machine but I had exactly this problem and it became really truly vexing, more so since we have just installed a nice new Mac mini that came with Catalina and is likely to be our home computer for the next decade. If this won't work with the SBT I have just made the most enormous error!

After a length of time fiddling with this, so long in fact that I shall demur from any attempt to find out, I discovered the ridiculously easy solution.

Put all you music files, of whatever type, into a shared folder. You'll find this at the users level on the Mac and I expect that LMS will then have no trouble scanning it. All should be back to normal!

Thanks for this. I had been only able to use my Squeezebox Classic for Spotify replay since the upgrade to Mojave (though funnily enough my SBT didn't have a problem) but your tip has now allowed the Classic to access the music library on my Mac once more. I selected the music files folder in the Mac User folder and changed it to a shared folder as suggested. In LMS I was able to locate the shared folder in the Music Library selection tab and now all accessible again. Brilliant!

Yes, I had read this but wasn't getting anywhere fast. For what it's worth, when I was running a PC, a change of user caused the buffer to run out and the music to be interrupted. it usually cam back after a bit. The mac has no drop out with the solution I found and as the folder is shared it doesn't matter who is using the computer on which account.

Now that might work anyway. But it was a definite improvement over the old system and provided you don't fret about other users having access to the files on a shared folder, what's not to like?

I'm having this same problem now: setting up a new Mac mini on Catalina 10.15.7 and can't get LMS to find and scan my music on an external HD.

If anyone can give advice or preferably step by step instructions that would be great.

I'm having this same problem now: setting up a new Mac mini on Catalina 10.15.7 and can't get LMS to find and scan my music on an external HD.

If anyone can give advice or preferably step by step instructions that would be great.

You could have asked an easy question :oops:, I guess you did, it's just the answer is complicated :rolleyes:

First, open this tab

Of course, this being computer land, things have changed since then, so go to

https://www.tech-otaku.com/mac/manually-granting-applications-full-disk-access-macos-catalina/

Which is what I did, after a lot of searching;) and trying :eek:

That will tell you how to give bash the permission (no-one had mentioned that the files are hidden and how to access them)

You then have to repeat for 'perl'

This is what the System preferences looks like

remember to unlock and then relock the Systems preferences

Restart LMS (I just used a usb stick with one folder)
and then rescan

and play :)

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie for taking the time to write such thorough instructions.

I have succeeded in getting LMS to run again on the new Mac and will relay the steps I took here on the off-chance it's helpful to someone else.

I went through the steps of changing the permissions under Security & Privacy, giving Full Disk Access for 'bash', 'smbd' and 'Perl' as detailed above. Still no joy, I couldn't get LMS to read and index the external hard disk.

The key step for me was to re-install a fresh version of LMS – the same version as I had before which is 8.1.1. As soon as I'd done this, everything worked (to my great relief). I've also got added access to plugins which weren't showing up before.

So all's well that ends. Thanks again, Andrew

advertisement

Back