advertisement

Apple Carplay - fitted!

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
I absolutely love my BMW E61 535D, one of the very best cars I’ve owned and it was utterly brilliant on a recent 3,000 mile Euro trip. Yes, we had a holiday!

One thing that let it down compared to newer cars was the lack of a modern media system with smart phone interface. I’m sure Idrive and voice command was amazing 13 years ago but we all know life has moved on since.

So I fitted a unit this week which replaces the old IDrive screen and now have touchscreen Apple Carplay - for £220.

The midpoint:

5A271413-FE3D-4EC2-9445-CE89595CEE60.jpeg

End result:

Last edited:
Mine’s wired only. At least that means the phone is always charging, and things like GPS use a lot of battery.

There’s a setting to have the recently used app icons on the right hand side rather than the left - they’re a bit easier to reach on a right hand drive car.

Jaguar did a complementary upgrade of the XE's computer system about eighteen months ago, to include Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

Didn’t realise our recently acquired Yeti had CarPlay until we did our first journey in it and I plugged my phone in. To go from no sat-Nav to having google maps, Spotify, Mixcloud and Siri was a nice little surprise.

good job on the Upfit!

Didn’t realise our recently acquired Yeti had CarPlay until we did our first journey in it and I plugged my phone in. To go from no sat-Nav to having google maps, Spotify, Mixcloud and Siri was a nice little surprise.

You should try Waze, better that Google or Apple maps for GPS IMHO.

Waze is owned by Google I believe, very useful though the adverts can be an annoyance

You should try Waze, better that Google or Apple maps for GPS IMHO.

Apple Maps has improved since the last IOS update (IOS 14) now has speed camera alerts. I use it for when I set appointments in iCal so you get an alert when to leave which might be earlier if there are problems on your route. Yes, I’m one of them who arrives just in time! :)

Waze is owned by Google I believe, very useful though the adverts can be an annoyance

Are there ads on the CarPlay version? Last time I tried it there weren’t. I have to confess that after recommending Waze I use TomTom most of the time as it doesn’t rely on a phone signal for the maps, and the live traffic updates seemed more accurate.

Waze seems to me to be more 'reactive' to traffic and more 'aggressive' in terms of routing. Sometimes the latter can be a pain if you are in an area with a lot of small lanes.

advertisement

Back