advertisement

Anyone watching "The Returned"

Gareth

pfm Member
Been watching this since the start and completely gripped. Very well shot, gripping storyline and mysterious. Very reminiscent of Twin Peaks, in many ways.

Anyone else hooked?

My wife watches it and I sit there half watching it and half doing something else. I'm not hooked, no. If I didn't see the rest it wouldn't bother me.

I watched the first two and then forgot about it. Will see if I can catch up on that internet.

I dunno, it hasn't gripped me like a Scandinavian crime drama yet but seems worth sticking with.

I'm a regular, I use it to keep my French up to speed. It's very good, like the Danish crime drama(s) they had. Very dark and somewhat confusing, and the setting in the alpine valley adds to the sense of isolation. Interestingly, our title "the returned" doesn't quite equate to "les revenants", as "revenant" is one of the words for a zombie.

Yeah I think it's great. I just hope that the storyline lives up to all the intrigue and it delivers in the end.

Anyone got any clues as to what's going on?
I have a theory.

Lets hear it then ;)

Mine is that everyone but the revenants were killed when the village was wiped out but they don't realise they're dead yet. The revenants are there to guide them (and settle a few scores).

Exactly.
We keep seeing the reservoir and don't really know why. I reckon something happened to the water, wiped out the population, and the 'returned' have come to collect them.

the sound track is great -think it's by Mogwai, who i haven't listened to but am looking up on Spotify now..

Some thing's I've noticed - which add to the intrigue
- opening credits - children playing are shown in a reflection from water but aren't there in real.
- costa's wife seems to have died around same time as Victor - some link there?
- episode names after characters have all been for the 'revenants' -apart from Juliette - any significance?
- the draining dam showed what looked like a spire showing through - is there a village underneath?
- is the reservoir mirroring the story - in the water is flowing from the dam to the power station in a non explained way much like the dead are flowing to the living?

so many questions - great show. worth catching up on if you have missed

I spotted the church spire too and wondered about that. I haven't seen the reservoir feature in the story of the characters - it's a side issue - so I'm wondering if the whole town are dead under the water.

I'm liking it. The revenants can't die/be killed.
The lake is losing water but the power station guys were asking "where is the water coming from....?" and they are reluctant to inform the authorities...

advertisement

Back