advertisement

Anyone watching Masters of the Air?

Burdy

pfm Member
Finished the first two episodes - interesting. The RAF doesn't come out looking good, which is a shame. I like aviation and WWII history so I expected to like this show a lot more.

I watched it. The Brit bashing was tiresome. Visually spectacular at times but I'm finding the book more informative.

I got about fifteen minutes into it and switched it off.
Nothing at all about the style I liked. I don’t think I made it as far as the Brit-bashing.

I ripped in Chuck Yeager on Twitter years ago because of his constant criticism of us. Still, he’s dead now.

I watched the first few episodes hoping it would get better but yet another "Team America" rides in to save the day revisionist shite.

I got about fifteen minutes into it and switched it off.
Nothing at all about the style I liked. I don’t think I made it as far as the Brit-bashing.

I ripped in Chuck Yeager on Twitter years ago because of his constant criticism of us. Still, he’s dead now.
Yeager was notoriously anti-British because of something that happened when he was there - never found out what exactly. Of course, US servicemen in the UK were often unpopular as being "overpaid, over-sexed and over here" and being able to attract the girls, because they could get luxuries that were scarce in wartime, rationed Britain, such as nylon stockings. One joke was made about a new kind of female undergarment popular in the UK - "one Yank and they're off".

I have watched most of them with my son, he loves it and I enjoy it. I also downloaded Luck of the Draw (the book it was based on). The book was ok, not as good as the Band of Brothers book (or TV program).

Not sure how accurate their depiction of RAF bombing accuracy is, but the US were the only ones with the Norden Bombsite, which couldn't have been used at night anyway.

Not sure how accurate their depiction of RAF bombing accuracy is, but the US were the only ones with the Norden Bombsite, which couldn't have been used at night anyway.
Haven't seen the show, but RAF bombing accuracy was terrible - most bombs didn't land within 5 miles of their intended targets.

Looks like I am not the only one that was hoping for something on the lines of band of brothers to to be very disappointed. Never got past the 1st episode.

I'm not a subsciber, but (slightly o.t.) did catch some of the 'Great Lives' radio program about Frank Whittle, who proposed the idea of jet propulsion in 1928. The Air Ministry/RAF rejected the idea and declined to fund any research. Speculation is just that - Germany would have caught up eventually, but we might still have had a significant edge ten years later. (The programme briefly mentioned the word 'deterrent'.)
It's a truism that military establishments tend to look back to the last war rather than forward to the next, but this does seem to be an egregious example. With 20/20 hindsight, of course.
'Bomber' Harris was a passionate believer in his Command but whether actual results justified the losses in aircrews and civilians has since been questioned. (And that in turn misconstrued as an attack on the personnel involved.)

From YouTube clips I've seen, the series includes the Tuskegee Airmen, the all-black fighter pilots who flew Mustangs with the bombers to protect them. I'd be interested to see how they handle that. The Tuskegee Airmen suffered an enormous amount of prejudice that sought to undermine them at every turn ("scientific" studies that showed that the negro brain was not suited to complex tasks), but they exonerated themselves so well that Harry Truman integrated the armed forces after the war.

I thought it was grim and didn’t make it to the end of the first episode. The CGI action was incredibly unrealistic to my eyes, the acting wooden and the script riddled with cliches. I was actually surprised by just how bad it was compared with Dunkirk from 2017 for example.

I thought it was grim and didn’t make it to the end of the first episode. The CGI action was incredibly unrealistic to my eyes, the acting wooden and the script riddled with cliches. I was actually surprised by just how bad it was compared with Dunkirk from 2017 for example.

Dunkirk is epic.

Dunkirk and several others give me hope for quality modern war history film....even with Harry Styles in the cast!

advertisement

Back