advertisement

Anyone running a Naim 160 Chrome Bumper ?

eddie1

pfm Member
Anyone running a Naim 160 Chrome Bumper ?
What pre amp and speakers are you using it with please ?
Thanks
Ed

I have Bolt Down 160. I have used it with NAC12 and Olive NAC62. Original speakers were Quad ESL57s current speakers Linn Saras

I have a bolt down NAP 160. My preamp is a NAC 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards, Hicap with Avondale TPR4 regulator and my speakers are some custom made book shelf with a Motus 6 1/2 woofer and a Morel MDT 34 tweeter. This kit beats my other Naim kit on some aspects. My other kit is newer classic with Supernait 1 used as a preamp, Hicap and NAP 250.2
If I may suggest, NEVER get rid of your NAP 160. These are real gems IMO and difficult to find these days and almost impossible to beat for the price.

I love my Nap 160, had it serviced 8 years ago by Class A, and it remains strong and musical with real presence.
Its connected to a Sonic Bliss PSU and then into a Nac 72 (olive) which may not be the best pre amp for it but I'm not sure what to change it to ?
My speakers are Linn Tukans.
The main source has been a Naim CD5 which sounds great but now moving more into streaming via Teufal Connector.

72/Hicap/CB160 Focal 726. The 160 also does AV front duties and just seems to make the best of whatever is fed into it. My suspicion would be that the 72 is the limiting factor, it would be interesting if anyone's tried it with a 52.

I have the older bolt down 160. 32.5 pre with RSL cards and tpr4/snaps. Kudos super c10s. I would highly recommend the RSL cards and either the Avondale tpr4 or Kit Ryan’s power supply. My only criticism of the 160 is the bass, more controlled with a 250, but I’m not changing

I use a CB 160 with NAC 32.5 and Briks in the office.

I used to use a bolt down 160 with NAC 12 and Kan 1s as my main setup, but since removing the Urika the system sounds better with a 110. Will never sell the BD160 though.

It's all serviced (with Class A) except the NAC 12 which is original.

I've tried a serviced CB 250 but prefer the 160s - I did very much enjoy the 250 though and agree with @Brennus it has a fair bit more control.

PS I've also got a pair of Tukans. I really like them with vintage Naim. I recently tried them on a Supernait 3 and for some reason they didn't sound good at all, whereas Kan 1s sounded good on new and old. Hard to predict what will and won't work at times.

Before you ditch the 72 and head into a many digit upgrade to a 52 and Supercap ...

Have you tried pulling unused cards from the 72?
Have you tried ditching Naim cabling and going Avondale separation of power and signal or WitchHat screened SNAIC?
Have you tried the free demo of an RSL ZapCap?
Have you tried the free demo of RSL MagicPower cards?

These will get you big improvements for much less outlay, while retaining the nice small footprint of a 72.

Love mine, it is holding nothing back, active with 250s into SBLs.

Interesting ideas Thank you and I have tried none of them.
Do you have a link to RSL items ?
When you say remove unused Cards from The 72 which and how ?
(The unused phono cards ?)
Do
You also mean change my PSU for
One from Avondale ?

Glad to hear someone else likes the Linn Tukans with Vintage Naim.
Very Well made little speakers
That Happen to fit my small Listening room.
I also like the “assembled Tested and packed by Billy Mciness” label on the back Of each one .

https://ryansoundlab.com/

@RyanSoundLab Kit Ryan is active on pfm, he has a loan scheme for the MagicPower cards. Search the forum and find a heap of feedback on these. Looks like one of the review threads has just resurfaced. These are a step change in performance.

Any and every unused card can be removed, so if you have variable gain cards you can remove these and link them out to provide a line level input, if you don't use the phono input remove those, if you don't use a tape recorder remove the tape cards. These will all reduce the PSU load and improve the sound a smidge.

I mean change the PSU for the RSL ZapCap, better than Avondale TPR4 my experience. Again RSL have a loan system for a ZapCap.

I also like the “assembled Tested and packed by Billy Mciness” label on the back Of each one .
Is this a haiku?
I find it hard to tell.
It has that staccato rhythm,
But the syllable count is wrong and it doesn't scan.
Bugger.

Bigger screen needed ;)

I’ve got the Loaner boards at the moment. Email Kit Ryan and get on the list.
Details in the RSL thread.

BD160 here.
Serviced by ClassA last October along with a 42.5 and a 92.
I am using a Uniti 1 as a preamp as I much prefer it to the lads above.
Source is an Akurate LP12 and the Uniti CD and streamer. Destination is Tannoy DMT 15 II’s listened to near field in a small room.
Bizzarely the 160 could act as a heatsink for the Uniti such is the difference between their case temperatures!

+1 for the RSL plug ins. I have them in my NAC 12. These boards take the preamp up a step or two. The remote volume control is also quite nice and who would expect a remote on that modest little bolt down shoe box 12.

:cool: :D

I have Bolt Down 160. I have used it with NAC12 and Olive NAC62. Original speakers were Quad ESL57s current speakers Linn Saras

Interesting that 160 with Saras.........
I tried these speakers with a NAP 110 a long time ago and power was obviously missing. Fed by a CB 250, They were singing and the bass was simply outstanding.
I am wandering about the 160 as it seems to be just in between power wise so would you say it has enough power to drive the Saras in a decent way in a normal size room............with rock music ?

advertisement

Back