advertisement

Anyone know anything about the Audion Stirling Stereo anniversary el64 hard wired integrated amp?

I listened to the original Sterling in a demo in 97, it was one of the cheapest valve amps available at that time, I think about £5-600, it didn't really deliver with any of the speakers tried apart from large 3 way Triangles which had alot of port noise (chuffing) . I ended up going in a totally different direction. The newly introduced Audio Analogue integrated (I can't recall the name) wiped the floor with the Audion, same price and included a rather nice RIAA stage.

Just remembered it was the Pucinni SE

Not sure if you saw this review for KT120 model as used with Tannoy.

Audion has been on my bucket list for years but no distributor in Canada. I'd expect the KT88 model would be the sweet spot between an EL34 and KT120.
That's quite a positive review isn't it!
I listened to the original Sterling in a demo in 97, it was one of the cheapest valve amps available at that time, I think about £5-600, it didn't really deliver with any of the speakers tried apart from large 3 way Triangles which had alot of port noise (chuffing) . I ended up going in a totally different direction. The newly introduced Audio Analogue integrated (I can't recall the name) wiped the floor with the Audion, same price and included a rather nice RIAA stage.

Just remembered it was the Pucinni SE
And that's not such a positive..
Neither of the amps are the same model as the one I've seen for sale (it's somewhere in between them both price wise) and my big problem is that I can't demo it with my speakers.
I'm waiting/hoping for a Leak stereo 20 and have seen a used Sterling for sale at around the same price and amazingly as I live in Cornwall it is within a mile or so of a place I'll be visiting in around a week.
Thank you both for your replies, hopefully someone else will come along and maybe tell me what they think to help with this!

Have never been a fan of Audion, heard and tried a few but they just lacked something. Deco audio rave about them but I just don't hear it.

If you like EL34 then the logical one is a Radford STA15/25

Have never been a fan of Audion, heard and tried a few but they just lacked something. Deco audio rave about them but I just don't hear it.

If you like EL34 then the logical one is a Radford STA15/25 I've ever heard an EL34.. I currently have the firebottle dulci that was advertised on here a few weeks ago which has EL84's
I've never heard an EL34, I currently have the firebottle dulci that was advertised on here a few weeks ago -
Thanks for your reply too. It's beginning to look like I need to wait for a stereo 20..

advertisement

Back