advertisement

Anyone here using ATC SCM20ASLT speakers?

ajm

pfm Member
I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between ATC SCM20ASLT and ATC SCM40 active speakers.

Is there anyone on here using ATC SCM20ASLT speakers that has done the comparison?

Thanks

Having a mid driver makes a difference IMO. I've heard both speakers but not compared them in an A-B situation. If I could afford an ATC I would go with an active three way speaker to have their famous mid dome.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that the 2-way SCM20ASLT is more expensive than the 3-way SCM40A. Not sure why that is?

They are also slightly heavier - maybe it uses better quality amps + the cost of Super Linear driver?

But still - dome mid and better bass extension is hard to ignore.

There's also the 50th anniversary limited edition (150 pairs made) SCM20ASL (non-towers but cabinet volume is the same as ASLT obviously) in gloss blue lacquer finish with Nappa leather for even (slightly) more. Looks lovely IMO. Add on top cost for good stands like Partington. Getting close to £11K for some shiny looks.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that the 2-way SCM20ASLT is more expensive than the 3-way SCM40A. Not sure why that is?
The 40 doesn't have SL bass or S-spec mid or tweeter - not to diss the 40, it's a good thing.

The 50 is the first place you get all the best ATC drivers, but it costs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I think it’s different drivers and UK manufactured cabinets that will be hiking the price. The cabinets are also available in more finishes like the scm50’s upwards.

Having a mid driver makes a difference IMO. I've heard both speakers but not compared them in an A-B situation. If I could afford an ATC I would go with an active three way speaker to have their famous mid dome.
The SCM20 does (sort-of) have the mid-range dome driver.

The SCM19 mid-bass driver is the same as in the SCM20. So, from ATC's Richard Newman and Ben Lily in ATC SPEAKERS: ENGINEERS REVEAL 7 DESIGN SECRETS IN EXCLUSIVE Q&A we see that the central part of the driver is the mid-range dome:

What is the function of the soft dome grafted onto the mid/woofer in the two way designs from the HiFi Passive Series (SCM7, SCM11, SCM19)?
... The SCM19 is different. In this case the voice coil is 75mm (3”) in diameter, so the dome is larger; in fact the dome grafted to the former is the same as that used in our mid-range dome. The dome is designed to decouple from the cone at higher frequencies where it performs the role of the primary acoustic radiator.

I guess it might be a question of the room - 40s will not fit everywhere (20s also but more opportunities there). Then what do you need from LF response - 40s are bass heavier per se but 20s nicely integrate with a sub. Whether you’ll be able to notice MF/HF advantage of 20s is mostly a matter of a system upstream, ATC have a big potential but what are you planning to put before?

If it's interesting in the thread's context ATC is showing the limited editions of the SCM20ASL and the C4 subwoofer at a demo event at my local dealer on 4th May.

I will be there. I am not particularly interested in special editions but interested in the above for two reasons. First the C4 and what it can do. Second the above system is interesting to me as a possibility if I ever have to down-size the listening room to the point where my SCM50ASL classics might be too big.

I understood (perhaps incorrectly) from much reading, that even if they don't need a big room they do need a fair bit of space around them to realise their full potential?
Not really. I have about 30cms to the front wall & they are located in an alcove either side of chimney breast.

Sealed units with sturdy cabinets. You don’t need to play them loud either.

I've had a pair of the 20s since 2015. I'm not a great fan. They are pretty good for rock, pop and stuff that needs slam and drive, but distinctly meuh with classical, especially baroque and choral.

I haven't found them particularly reliable, either. The amp packs obviously needed attention not long after I bought them. ATC supposedly fixed them (during Covid) and upgraded the drivers to latest spec, but they're still not quite right, and ATC don't really want to know. The speaker on the left channel seems to drop the tweeter after switch on. I need to up the volume to get it to kick in, after which it's mostly ok. Not disastrous, but annoying. It's been known to drop out during a listening session as well. They need to be played at quite a high volume to sound good anyway.

They're nice pieces of furniture, though, and the box count is low, which is why they're still here. Oddly, they sound best when listening from the next door room, the diningroom. I think a rega Brio-R driving the second iteration of the SCM9s overall sounded more fun.

For reference, the main system in the loft runs Quad 63s and Primare amps. The ATCs are run off a Primare Pre32 with the MM30 digital board.

I understood (perhaps incorrectly) from much reading, that even if they don't need a big room they do need a fair bit of space around them to realise their full potential?
Most speakers need space - I'd agree.
I've had Naim SBLs, Linn Saras and Isobariks which perform well against walls - some suggest that different wall types change the sound.
I never had too many wall types in my house to truly comment though.

I've got the ATC active 50s after listening to the 40s.
The 40s are in the Entry Series - they are anything but "Entry" - very good value for money even at about £8k new.

...The 40s are in the Entry Series - they are anything but "Entry" - very good value for money even at about £8k new.
ATC doesn't have entry level speakers anymore, financially speaking because sound is subjective. I'm guessing in UK pricing must be a little lower, the SCM7 costs here 1300€, it's ridiculous for a small speaker.

advertisement

Back