advertisement

Anyone heard Nagaoka MP500?

ThELiZ

pfm Member
I'm heading over to the states in March and am looking at getting an MP500, if the price is right? I can only really afford it by selling on my 2M black.

I do enjoy the 2M black, but have read that a lower compliance cart would be better for my Jelco 750D.

At times the sound can be a bit too analytic and cold. I am looking for a richer, lusher sound without sacrificing too much detail.

At the moment I am limited to MM, as my Brio-R stage is all I have (I know, not good enough for the 2M), so no MC suggestions please.

Cheers

It's a good cartridge the MP500, I'm sure Kt77 (Oscar) will be along soon, he's a fan I think of Nagaoka and speaks a lot of sense.

What is your budget and I will put my thinking cap on, right off the bat the Benz Micro Ace is a great cart, rich and meaty but with detail, a high output MC at home in a MM stage.

The Brio-R phono stage input capacitance is 220pf.
That might suit some Rega MMs on a Rega arm with stock cable but it's too high for many other MMs, including the 2M when you factor-in the arm cable capacitance.

This is the likely cause of 'analytical and cold' that you describe since the Ortofon will sound peaky with such loading.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I can get the MP500 for £370. I would say £400 would be my budget. It all depends how much I can get for the 2M black, with around 270 hours on it.

Thanks for the info, Robert. I'm trying the Arkless modified 640p sometime this week, so maybe that could work better with the 2M.

Maybe keeping the 2M annd getting a better phono stage is the answer. If I do get the MP500, it will eventually have a new phono stage anyway, somewhere down the line. It seems on paper that the MP500 is a better match for my Jelco 750D, and with a sound signature that appears to tick all of the right boxes for me.

Maybe keeping the 2M annd getting a better phono stage is the answer.

Different rather than better I'd say.

If you contacted Rega they might perhaps sanction a dealer reducing the capacitance on the Brio. It means swapping two small caps to the value of about £1.
I did exactly this recently for Tony who's Quad amp also had the same loading as the Brio. Ask him about the effect on his 2M Black :)

Hi Robert,

That is something I'm sure that I could do myself. Would you happen to know what caps to swap out? Or would I have to contact Rega for this info?

Cheers

I'm conscious of your warranty, hence the suggestion to go via Rega and a dealer.

However, I'd spot them easily if i could see a Brio board or the schematic.

Appreciate your concern. It is still relatively new at around 5 months old.

I'm an impatient so and so, though! Is my warranty void if I open it up?

Has anyone actually heard the MP500? I mean we've all read that its excellent but noone seems to have tried it properly.

As I said on another thread recently, I bought one recently but due to a change of plan I never took it out of the box. I sold it to a guy who was previously using a DV10 x 5 and he said it was fantastic - a big leap from the DV and just what he wanted in every way.

The Brio-R phono stage input capacitance is 220pf.
That might suit some Rega MMs on a Rega arm with stock cable but it's too high for many other MMs, including the 2M when you factor-in the arm cable capacitance.

This is the likely cause of 'analytical and cold' that you describe since the Ortofon will sound peaky with such loading.
^^ the 2M Black is not remotely analytical and cold with my Heed phono stage. This is through a rewired Technics 1210 stock arm which is virtually the same as the Jelco IME. I would add I really want to get hold on an MP-500.

Loading is critical for many MMs and the wrong loading can make a potentially superb cartridge sound poor.

I'd like to see the option for at least two setting (one very low at around 50pf) on all stages regardless of budget. It's that important.

Hi TheLiZ / Gaius,

Why of course I'm going to speak my piece on said cartridges - as Gaius has pointed out, I'm a fan - but that's simply because I started looking at vinyl as it once was appreciated - for offering up that warm - rich - textured - mellow as well as addictive sound as heard during the 1970's into the late 80's.

Afterwards it became more of an emphasis on sizzling top end and this or that fake arse nonsense about hearing which paper an artist was on during a recording session - or did you hear how clearly the rain drops could be heard in the background BS!.

I've been following these cartridges since 1989, and have owned 6 over this period - as much as I've tried to love some of the more modern cartridges like the original Lyra Lyrian Beta along with the Dorian Mono - Audio Technica OC5's and OC7's - Monster Cable Alpha 2 - Shelter 501 MK II ( seen as the poor man's Koetsu here in the states ), I've always and I mean always been drawn back to that old school lushness that any given Nagaoka has brought to the table.

It's as if a warm butter knife has pierced my very soul - as I'm more into texture and/or tonality as opposed to what I call " the Hi-Fi Effects ", I focus my attention onto things that simply put sound right - good - bad or indifferent for that matter!, but it has to play the notes/tunes in a manner that draws my attention away from this or that piece of hardware ( because in this case - that's what you're listening to after all as opposed to the Music itself ) and focus my attention on the notes - how they're played - how natural they sound - and ask myself things like does it sound real?, is it emotional causing me to become affected by the artist intention?, were they in a good mood while recording this session?, did they have a bad day?, did they get paid fairly for making the recording? ( because of an artist got joe'd money wise!, they didn't play up to their best - as is the case with many recordings by Miles Davis or Charles Mingus ), or why am I crying?, laughing?, what to dance?.

Yes - it might sound weird as hell - but ask yourself these simple little questions as you're sitting there in front of someone's highly prized and often times analytical $5.000 - $10.000 cartridge and catch your response to what's going with your body functions and not just what's going on through your ears - I'm willing to wager that over 97.9 % of the time you'll begin to find yourself bored as hell and thinking WTF!, and wonder if these guys even have a clue what music should sound?, in said cases these are guys whom buy with their wallets chasing the status quo - the designer tags on said components - Class A ratings based upon a review by a guy getting paid to sell said review ( yet, not all reviewers are dishonest ), but you'll be able to spot them by using this method -

They claim that this or that product is the best thing since sliced bread - and if that's truly the case - said products would be found which the content of their systems would they not?,
Just check the side bars to see what I'm getting at.

Bottom line - ( see there I do know how to cut it short ) is cartridges that place as emphasis on the midrange are seen by some as antique - dated technology - pipe and slippers ( as you guys put it ) for old farts that are heading to the nursing home sort of mindset........, well I'm here to tell you one thing whether you agree or not?.

Ask some of these reviewers like Art Dudley why they select cartridges that were in fact built around these out dated technologies by designers of Grace - Grado -Miyabi - 47 Labs - - Denon or Miyajima - because they play tunes/notes - not effects.

I've spoken my piece and now it's time to leave the building.

Take note of what's what?, you can buy into the BS mindset that resolution is what's up!, if you like - but give me warmth - texture - tonality - midrange and emotion.

Regards - and an open-minded thinker and " Music Lover ".
o_O scar

^^ the 2M Black is not remotely analytical and cold with my Heed phono stage. This is through a rewired Technics 1210 stock arm which is virtually the same as the Jelco IME. I would add I really want to get hold on an MP-500.

Greg,

As I own a Heed Quasar - I can say that's because said Phono-stage offers a warmer hue to the sound which I along with 5 others whom heard mine first and pursued their own afterwards have all concluded. Some phono-stages just aren't as refined. For the price - it's a keeper.

o_O scar

Has anyone actually heard the MP500? I mean we've all read that its excellent but noone seems to have tried it properly.

As I said on another thread recently, I bought one recently but due to a change of plan I never took it out of the box. I sold it to a guy who was previously using a DV10 x 5 and he said it was fantastic - a big leap from the DV and just what he wanted in every way.

Hi Elephantears,

A friend of mine whom wasn't into turntables until coming by my place three years ago, and owns a $6.500 Esoteric SA-CD player - followed suit within a month as now owns a Wilson Benesch Circle and buys about 4-5 cartridges every 6 months - had me over two nights ago as he was curiously about why I had been praising these cartridges since I've known him - well he purchased one from a seller in Germany that he had been dialing in over the few nights before bringing me over -

Dude - Bro - Bro Ham ................., all I can say it " WTF " have I been waiting for?, this little $500 cartridge was putting a Dynavector XXmk2 in its place - I mean it beat the living shit out of his Benz Glider - Koetsu Black that is wasn't even freaking funny.

I can tell you one thing about me - I might get upset when people tend to f_ _ k with me and don't back down from shit - but I'm honest about this shit - my wife would tell you I'm one of the most honest people she has ever come across as will my close friends/associates - when it comes to cartridges - tubes - jazz ( vinyl ), and I'm not trying to brag - I know this shit............., this cartridge is freaking musical as hell - with a glass of ice water in its hand I might add.

I know that I'm getting one next month as well as that OS-300MP, talk about affordable options - keep those damn $1.500 - $2.700 cartridges - I'm not cheap - but when I hear things that put some of this expensive shit to shame - I ask myself " Why Bother "?.

Shit - for $2.700 I'd have 5 of these laying around as backups when the first one dies - f _ _ k re-tipping, as these can be had for less then having that done on say a Dynavector 20x2L. I'm sold.

I might be a weird arse for collection cartridges and tubes - but at least I'll have them stored away when their supplies become depleted ( smart move on my behalf - pat on the back ) just things to think about - as everything at some point has its supply dry up - get shit while you can - just like many sleeping on those AT-33PTG's when they were giving them away - look at their prices now.

It doesn't require a MBA/PHD to figure this shit out.

Be well,
o_O scar

Robert,

Thanks for understanding - as I'm not much for cursing......, but when it comes to taking about something that excites me or having to put my children in their place - it happens.

Because my children don't understand words like " Please " " Don't Do That " " Be Kind ", but they jump as high as Michael Jordan used to when Dad says " Shut The F _ _ k Up ".

Talk about getting a response - where did they go?, life's funny that way - be soft-spoken and they'll try to run over you - but let the words fly and allow your eyes to go to the back of your head and watch just how fast others around you - distance themselves.

Laughter is good and besides it keeps us young at heart.

o_Oh

advertisement

Back