advertisement

Anyone had a DBS certificate check recently ?

AV8

pfm Member
My new job requires an Enhanced DBS certificate to work in a school. Up till now it is 7 working days & counting, does it take this long for paper based as previous ones were online & took less than 48 hours. ?

Had one a year ago, if I remember correctly, once it’s submitted it’s logged in the digital system and if not flagged against you can work, but the certificates take 7 or more days to arrive.

I have never seen a physical certificate, but as far as I gather the institution I applied for work at, holds the certificate.

I work as an education consultant and have a subscription to the online enhanced check. It's gets automatically updated ( for a fee) every year. You use a screen shot as evidence rather than having a paper document.

I set it up a few years back but don't recall it being particularly arduous - and it's geographically transferrable. Previously I needed to get a new one for each different roles - i.e. for work in different LAs or for work as a school governor.

yes have to have one every 3 years in my role in charity sector . no problem so far although normally you have to bring forms in in person but lockdown has made that harder

Thanks for the updates.

In my last community role I had a digital one that cost £13 per year, on this occasion it is a paper based one I believe as physical documents are needed & the school pay for it.

In 1993 I was "positively vetted" without even knowing, but the rules were different in those days.

I lived in a flat on school premises, and one day I asked whether I needed to be vetted, only to be told that I already had been!

Another very strange one from 2003. A young friend of mine, of Chinese extraction, had put me down as a personal character reference for a job application working in Royal Navy submarines on electronic systems. I was phoned by something along the lines of the "security services," but could not get the precise details, and as they seemed to know that I was a personal character reference, I entered into a three quarters of an hour conversation. Amazingly they only wanted to talk about me and how long I had known my Chineses friend [his parents escaped the Communist in 1948 and used to run a nice Chinese restaurant]. Quite something when you know the Secret Service is taking an interest. I don't suppose they have bothered since!

Up to that time I'd hardly expect to actually ever encounter real "spooks!"

Best wishes from George

PS. An old friend of mine [now deceased] was [at retirement] a director of Turner and Newall, who were major asbestos manufacturers. Earlier in his career he was travelling for the company across Europe and including the Eastern Block as it was. He was approached for duty as a spy. I believe it never went any further ...

The certificate is sent to the person subject to the check and the employer will then want to see it/copy it for your HR file. I did one for a new employee about two months ago, It took nearly four weeks to come back. However it is a bit of a lottery and they can come back within days.

Reactions: AV8
I've got enough to paper a wall with. At least three this year. :(
One for supply teaching.
One for foodbank volunteer.
One for RVS volunteer.

The certificate is sent to the person subject to the check and the employer will then want to see it/copy it for your HR file. I did one for a new employee about two months ago, It took nearly four weeks to come back. However it is a bit of a lottery and they can come back within days.

Thanks, that is the one I am being vetted for apparently. I was beginning to worry but HR told me that they will update when they have been confirmed as received & submitted, I had to confirm an educational organisation type verification before submission

I’ve had two enhanced checks this year and the paper certificate has been with me within a week of submitting the forms on each occasion.

Had a call this morning, DBS came through yesterday but can't start yet as last employer is dragging their heels with the requested references.

My new job requires an Enhanced DBS certificate to work in a school. Up till now it is 7 working days & counting, does it take this long for paper based as previous ones were online & took less than 48 hours. ?

Same here AV8. I also applied to work in a boarding school here in the lakes back in January. Unfortunately it took so long I took another job as I still needed to pay rent and bills.

I have-three weeks ago-undergone another Enhanced DBS check which flew through in a few days.

Best wishes

Ian.

Reactions: AV8

advertisement

Back