advertisement

Anyone following Sina Drums?

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
Is anybody else watching Sina’s Channel on YouTube?

Sina Doering is a young German drummer who has a YouTube channel (Sina-drums) where she posts drum covers and collaborations with other kids around the world. Her father (Mike Wilbury) was in a German Beatles tribute band and he now produces and plays on her videos. She’s been playing since she was 10 and is 21 now but the majority of her videos show her between 16 and 20. Her channel has over 1M subscribers.

The reason she is worth a look is:

1. She has a real appreciation and knowledge of drummers and in particular those from the 60s, 70s and 80s who have an individual style and personality.
  2. She has a lovely touch. No wild thumping or showing off like many YouTubers, just nuanced, flowing drumming.
  3. You can tell she has genuine musical feel and enjoyment. You can see it in her eyes. She is just in the zone from the kick off. Lovely to watch.

On her website, she rants about modern day recording techniques based around computer overlays and ‘correction’. She has set up a facility with her Dad and his colleague, Rick Benbow (keyboards and arranger) to scout out talent on YouTube and post collaborations where, in her words, ‘actual people play actual instruments’. (yay!)

Amongst her teenage collaborators are Andrei Cerbu, a Romanian guitarist, Jaydon Rylee, a Canadian singer and Juna Serita, a Japanese bass player. They are all frighteningly proficient. But what sets all these youngsters apart from the wealth of YouTube wannabes is that they have a passion and for them it's all about the feel rather than the proficiency. In lockdown watching these videos has been a breath of fresh air in a sometimes plastic music industry.

If the future of music is in the hands of these kids then we are safe!

Try this for starters:

It's just great to see kids making music. And it is, as you say, refreshing to see a young drummer playing for the song and not doing the pointless 'chops' type overplaying*.

* I was a very good young drummer in my youth, too, and at the time I was keen to show everyone how much I could play and how great the technique was etc. etc. It was only with time away and maturing in my musical appreciation that I realised that the showy type of drumming really is (more often than not) counter to the music, rather than complimentary. Exceptions exist, but far more crimes have been committed through excessive use of technique - see also: guitarists - than really should be the case. I now love a less-is-more approach, where there is a good amount of space between notes and great dynamic control. I'm definitely an old fart now ;)

It's just great to see kids making music. And it is, as you say, refreshing to see a young drummer playing for the song and not doing the pointless 'chops' type overplaying*.

* I was a very good young drummer in my youth, too, and at the time I was keen to show everyone how much I could play and how great the technique was etc. etc. It was only with time away and maturing in my musical appreciation that I realised that the showy type of drumming really is (more often than not) counter to the music, rather than complimentary. Exceptions exist, but far more crimes have been committed through excessive use of technique - see also: guitarists - than really should be the case. I now love a less-is-more approach, where there is a good amount of space between notes and great dynamic control. I'm definitely an old fart now ;)
Yes, I agree. Sina does a short video on Ringo Starr where she praises his 'play for the song' style and how each drum pattern is unique to the song consequently. A very perceptive young lady.

Yes, I saw the Paice thing a few months back and thought his criticisms, albeit only a few, to be a bit harsh.

This young lady is a friend of my daughter, who is striving to develop a career in music though she is not in the same league

This is just awesome. It's one thing drumming to a studio track, but to tackle something live where the band is following the singer and tempos drift is another thing entirely.

advertisement

Back