advertisement

Anyone compared the Graham Audio LS6f's to Neat Xplorer..?

steveinspain

pfm Member
I've not heard either, am hoping to have a demo of the LS6f's soon, but also wondering about the xplorer's. Before getting a home demo of either (or both) I'd be curious to hear what anyone who has heard both thinks as to how they compare.
It's not easy for me to describe what sort of sound I like as I've heard nothing current, and memories of all my old speakers are faded. The best I ever had, from that faded memory, was a pair of Avondale Revelations, but I doubt many have heard them..
Music range is pretty wide, but not much classical. Not much if any thrash or rap either.
Room is just over 4x5m with a 2.7m ceiling, speakers fire across the 4m width.

Hi Steve,

Going through a similar process myself..i can't answer your question on those specific speakers, BUT,.the sound advice I got from fellow fishies was to audition as many speakers as possible in your budget.

Speakers are a very personal thing and what others might rave about might not float your boat. There is a MASSIVE difference in presentation from a lot of the stuff I have heard. All are compromised in one way or another and you need to first learn what sort of sound you want. I think there is a lot of experience on hear to explain the strengths and weaknesses of particular models.

Start by listening to a few at dealers..in practice it is difficult to hear all the brands you may be interested in side by side. Pick your favourites then you would need to hear them in your room, with your amp. Some speakers need some grunt to come alive or not sound boomy.

Also, some speakers sound very impressive in the showroom on the end of £20k of kit but might sound harsh, dull etc with your system. Speakers that are very detailed and revealing might sound exciting at first listen but can become wearing over time..

What's your budget?

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've ordered a pair of LS6f, hope they arrive within 2-4 weeks. (Coming from across the pond.). I won't have heard the Explorers, but had time with the Neat Momentum SX3i, so my comments may be of some interest.

I have had the LS6/f on extended loan from Strictly Stereo, whilst waiting for my D&D 8c’s to arrive.

I’ve found the LS6/f to be a very agile, neutral and clear speaker. Stereo image on particular is very good. All this from a new Onkyo AV Reciever!

For the price they seem well worthy of home demo if their other attributes fit.

Can’t comment on the Neats, sorry.

Thank you all for your replies - much appreciated!
My first problem is finding speakers that my wife can live with - the neat xplorer's (which based on reviews etc seemed to tick boxes) are now off the list, the ls6f's remain on it, and I hope to be demo'ing the very same pair that you had on loan Andrew - hope you took care of them, as I may keep them!
I'm down in Cornwall where there isn't much by way of dealers. I did visit Richer Sounds and spent 20 minutes in a tiny room packed with speakers and came away knowing that a home demo was the only way to go..
I currently have a pair of AVI Adm9.1's with sub (nothing wrong with them but I want a little more and the sub takes up too much space) and some old kef 104.2's which I'm told are too big and too ugly.
Budget is limited, I can stretch to about £2000 by selling off the other speakers.

Yes they've been well looked after, as you'd expect.

FWIW my wife said the LS6/f's look quite acceptable. She will be in for another shock when the 8c's arrive, as their dimensions are somewhat different(obviously we've had 8c's on home demo before)...

Another comment I'd make about the LS6/f is they go very low in the bass. I've played with positioning in my room, and they did respond well to some careful consideration re rear and side wall positioning, and also toe-in.

advertisement

Back