advertisement

Anyone actually auditioned Neat Ekstras?

Emericanpie

Only read the HiFi+ review. Posts I’ve come across on various forums quote that review…’marmite’ being one typical reference. Oh and supposedly they don’t do classical.

The Ekstras appear to have similarity with PMC Twenty5 23s producing base not in keeping with smaller cabinet/woofer size. Maybe not the boom/tiz that pmcagnostics tend to highlight.

Intrigued by their isobaric design compared to the others take on transmission lines, and also sealed or ported floor standing speakers. Linn have this isobaric type implementation amongst other brands, but are outside my up to £4K budget. Is Neat’s an effective implementation, or just another marketing narrative?

I like the design ethos of Neats founder being a musician but need convincing this translates into a great product. I’m well aware of the impact of room, amplification, sources and cables. Anyone with Supernait 3 or Exposure 3010 using Ekstras?

cheers :)

I didn’t actually get round to the Ekstras, but I did have a good demo of the Iota Alphas, which I think have the same tweeter (but on a slanted baffle) and isobaric principle, albeit with one less driver.I was extremely impressed by their performance. Treble quality, imaging and bass were very good.that was on the end of a Pathos Classic One and Pathos TT amplifiers.

I have Neat Ekstras, which I use with my Exposure 5010 amps. These are superb speakers in a smaller room. Tonally rich, relatively uncoloured, fast and dynamic. The bass is deep, tight and controlled. Much better than the PMC Twenty5.23, which I have also owned. I like them better than the Harbeth M30.2, Graham LS5/9 and LS6 which have also passed through my system. And they play classical music - which is a significant proportion of my listening - brilliantly. Highly recommended.

P1010841.jpg

Thanks Ross, I must say I rather envy your system, especially the top end Exposures. Interesting your take on the PMCs. I now have the 3010s. I had the original Twenty 23s and I thought they were good until I got the 26s. In a smaller room the 26s were a good step up and really great to my liking. I sold those as I had two bass drivers replaced under warranty and I think my old Hegel H360 was a bit much for them. By then PMC prices had skyrocketed compared to the almost half price deal I got on the 26.

Now my stuff is in open plan, I can’t do room treatments and I doubt they would make much improvement as the overall size and shape is odd. I have SCM40s which are great, but in open plan, I cannot get to the old H360/20-26 satisfaction I once had. This space also doubles up as part of a 5.1 system. Tempted to go for the Ekstras for, ahem, surround duties and occasionally swap over with the ATCs. Aesthetically that would improve on the current stand mounts that tower over our sofa. I just don’t get why SWIMBO likes them so much and turned down using some more discreet old MK column surrounds Doh!

Now my stuff is in open plan, I can’t do room treatments and I doubt they would make much improvement as the overall size and shape is odd.

The odd shaped room can really be your friend, reducing the need for room treatment in the first place. I have had Neat Momentum 4is for a few years and I'd certainly recommend that you have a listen to the Ekstras. The support from Bob et al is second to none in my experience.

Unfortunately the room is a dogleg that goes from a lounge into dining into kitchen. Lots of glass where the system is but at least I can draw curtains to help deal with reflections.

advertisement

Back