advertisement

Anybody heard the Linn Krystal?

plimpington2

pfm Member
. . . Presumably on an LP12? I have a rebuilt Karma, which I really like. But looking to take a step up. How much is the Krystal in the US?

Judd

No, but I'd like to.
I have an ArkivB on a Michell Orbe/Ekos & a Krystal would seem to be the obvious step up replacement.

I've heard it several times, and in direct comparison to a Kandid. It's a great cartridge and definitely worth an audition. In the context of Linn, it struck me as good value, and very hard to criticise.

Bought one a few months ago as replacement for a Troika. Love it. Involving. Tracks well. Just fun listening.

I heard one. Extremely crisp, dynamic, and fast sounding cart. I would put it in a similar league to a Lyra Delos, with a different presentation. Or perhaps a DV XX-2 mk 2, again, still a different presentation.

That's good to know; I'll likely be replacing my Kontrapunkt H in the next year or so, and was looking at both the XX2 and Krystal as possible replacements. Since the Krystal has been out for a little while now (and the excitement of a new "midpriced" Linn MC cartridge should have settled down) I am interested in what people's thoughts are, esp. vs. the competition. I'm thinking of the competition as the Dynavector XX2, Karat, Lyra Delos, Ortofon Kontrapunkt Red and Blue, and maybe the Transfiguration Aria and ZYX Fuji.

I'd try to hear a Kiseiki blue before pulling trigger - see if you think it is worth the extra £500. Do try to find someone capable of setting them up BTW. Some horror stories about.

Anyone know what this things costs in the USA. It's not available online as far as i can tell (which is not surprising).

Judd

I'm currently using a Linn Adikt into Linn Uphorik on a Ittok LVII Arm. Will the Linn Krystal or Dynavector XX2 v2 be a better path for me?

Hi Kent
I purchased my first Krystal when it was released in feb 2016
It replaced an xx2
I was very pleased with it but sadly mine was one that collapsed due to careful use of SPT fluid after 300 hours
I wasn’t very happy as you can imagine :mad:however I bit the bullet aand purchased a replacement and I am glad I did
the second one purchased in oct2017 has now done 400 hours and is the best cartridge I have owned by far
I have it on an Ekos S/E1 on an lp12 with radical keel and urika
However no fluids have gone near this one :cool:You will benefit from the synergy it brings to your system
Enjoy
Tony

Hi Kent
I purchased my first Krystal when it was released in feb 2016
It replaced an xx2
I was very pleased with it but sadly mine was one that collapsed due to careful use of SPT fluid after 300 hours
I wasn’t very happy as you can imagine :mad:however I bit the bullet aand purchased a replacement and I am glad I did
the second one purchased in oct2017 has now done 400 hours and is the best cartridge I have owned by far
I have it on an Ekos S/E1 on an lp12 with radical keel and urika
However no fluids have gone near this one :cool:You will benefit from the synergy it brings to your system
Enjoy
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your input, I'm also leaning towards Krystal as I do feel there should be a better synergy between Linn cart compared to Dynavector with my Phono Linn Uphorik

Another plus vote here, I have a Krystal on my 1985 LP12, albeit with later Ekos II, Kore and Lingo 4. Great sound, fuss free. I had a Koetsu Black for a while but that never rocked my boat, the Krystal brought the boogie factor back.

When it first came out there was a complete lack of any reviews, which was strange.

Linn claimed that it’s better than an Arkiva, any idea if that’s yet another cup of BS?

I had a Koetsu Black for a while but that never rocked my boat, the Krystal brought the boogie factor back.

Not really surprised, as Koetsus generally prefer heavier mass arms. I had mine (K. Black Goldline, so more 'modern') on a Five and Orbe; okay, but a big jump when I transferred to 12" Ace Anna (which is still only about 3 to 4 g heavier than the Five. Old Ks were, in comparison, a wee bit more lush, but the Black Goldline is gutsy and dynamic.

Thought I’d revive this thread.

My LP12 has a Circus Bearing, MAJIK SUB CHASSIS, Lingo 3 PSU and an Ittok LVII arm with a Rega Ania MC.

My taste in sound is a dynamic detailed sound with a tight bass at the expense of warmth. To be honest I do have this sound at the moment but having more detail always makes something sound more real to me.

With this in mind, should I go for the Linn Krystal or Dynavector DV-XX2 MKII.

NB These funds were originally earmarked for the Karousel bearing upgrade and a new shiny outer platter.

Thanks for any replies.

With your stated tonal preferences, I would put the Lyra Delos at the very top of your list. Still haven’t heard a Krystal. I believe the output is kinda low, so it’s worth thinking about the cart & your Phono Stage as a combination.
The Dynas I’ve heard are very good indeed but may not be a match for your taste as to me, they’re erring on the warm, full bodied side of neutral.
I think any cart at the £1k mark should be/is going to be excellent & all of them will have their strong points & their fans. Hana for instance is a brand I see mentioned a lot when it comes to carts at this price, although again I haven’t heard one. But if it’s better than the Delos then it really is something incredibly special.

advertisement

Back