advertisement

Anybody been on the Linn Forum recently?

Popped in there a while back to get advice on assembling and tweaking a secondhand Linn Aktiv system. As someone who is about as likely to drop £6300 on a new Akurate DSM as I am to visit the moon, I suspect Linn have very little interest in hosting an information resource for my benefit.

Must be a different place than the one I heard about...

Funny, I thought it was about three or four ‘dealers’ still fighting battles from the 1980s and a load of third party suppliers slagging each other off.

I have the misfortune to like a couple of Linn products but their forum is embarrassing and a disincentive to buy or get involved with the company, IMO

Sounds like you're hearing about it rather than experiencing it. I don't recognise your description, after being a contributor for the past 5 years or so. I must say though, interpretation of posts can be very different from person to person, and I find it intriguing how differently people can react to the same sequence of words. Your "IMO" is appropriate, as it is for everyone.

I frequent 3 manufacturer forums (plus one about one manufacturer, but not run by them) and, although there is a tendency for a lot of off-topic "banter" on the Linn forum, it is one of the lighter moderated. You are, for example, permitted to be constructively critical of some of the company's products and marketing techniques without being censored by Linn or by the other users. Try that on some forums and you get your posts deleted or a barrage of abuse from the "faithful", or both.

Stopping people posting on their forum is just pathetic, have they never heard of moderation?

I have to agree that the Linn forums were mostly very lightly moderated, Fredrik Lejonklou certainly doesn't like to hear conflicting opinions, the Linn forums certainly were a lot better at that.
Since I left the Linn forums a few months ago, because some audiophiliacs are not open to challenging their opinions, I noticed that this is very common on most forums.
So far, I'm not too impressed with most responses here either, it's a hobby, not a religion for goodness sake.

Anyway, my 2 cents is that Linn will be bought by a company that is on a stock market and wants to make sure that no leakage occurs on their website(s).
Honestly, I hope that that is the reason, all other scenarios seem hurtful for Linn, and I do have a soft spot for them.

It's not like that leaking information about a fantastic new product will enable a competitor to release something similar within a month, and even when dealers have signed an NDA, I'm sure the information would leak into Naim HQ, or where-ever.
It only prevents the information to leak to customers, and I'm pretty sure that blocking a forum doesn't increase customer relations.
This really would be a stupid way to keep things under control.

Hi,

Interesting thought about Linn being bought, second time I have heard this, don't think that is the point of the forum closure, but we shall see.

Cheers

John

Well, I'm not sure either, but it is the only acceptable excuse I can come up with. Which doesn't mean that there aren't other possibilities of course, I may have limited imagination.
I guess we'll find out.

I am reliably informed from my industry insider 'Deep Throat' that it is, in fact, going to be the long awaited Linn Erekt (as speculated in post #30 above), a seminal product for this Scottish company that will fully fill the gaping hole in the Klimax System.

Erekt will also replace the legacy technology Linn Forum by being capable of injecting Linfo straight into customers' existing Kraniums (NOTE: not a standard feature of Kranium, so keep watch for the subsequent announcement of Kranium 2 'Everyone should have one!').

Let's keep this on the q.t. for now, as Gilad doesn't want his big Erekt release spoilt.

I found the Linn forum friendly and helpful when I asked about my active Linn Tunebox etc. there. A merger with Naim Not realistic with Scotland leaving the union after Brexit :D

advertisement

Back