advertisement

Any watch repairers in here?

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of whether it's worth repairing my Seiko SARB035 automatic watch?

I had a bit of an accident yesterday whilst walking the dog who lurched forward through the open door of the vets on the leash when I went took him for his vaccinations which resulted in the watch being battered against the door frame resulting in the crown coming completely away from the watch.

The small pin from the watch movement which the crown screws into has broken, I think, and some of the pin, the screwed section, is still inside the crown and obviously the pin and the crown will likely have to be replaced.

You can see the pin in the photo of the back of the watch the pin is in line with the 'N' in the word 'RESTISTANT'.

Please see photos.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

2073ioy.jpg

15qxah3.jpg

2w4za6e.jpg

n2n0gy.jpg

wtx5wy.jpg

Does this particular watch have a value to you beyond replacement costs? If you check out a well known auction site they do come up for circa £50 in good condition.

Does this particular watch have a value to you beyond replacement costs? If you check out a well known auction site they do come up and often sell for not much even in great condition.

Hi Steve, it was a birthday present from my wife and kids two years ago, the watch cost them £250 new from the Ireland Ebay guy so if the repair is going to be around the £60 to £80 mark I think I'll scrap it and buy a new watch it's probably not worth much more second hand than the likely cost of the repair now.

I'd say it's well worth repairing. This model is quite desirable, all the SARB series are. If you can get a used one for £50 point it out, I'll buy it.

I'd say it's well worth repairing. This model is quite desirable, all the SARB series are. If you can get a used one for £50 point it out, I'll buy it.

Thanks Steve, I love the watch, just had a look on previous sales on Ebay and your talking £320 odd for a new one so they've gone up in price since I bought mine which makes it worth repairing if the repair is less than £100.

The watch still works but it can't be adjusted now and obviously I can't immerse it in water not something that I ever do though.

That's a shame. I'm pretty sure the SARBO13 is a Japanese Domestic Market Seiko and although not hugely expensive it's a very nice watch and not all that common in the UK. Like Steve67 says, it's probably well worth getting fixed.

However, should you find the cost of repair to be prohibitive, you might want to think about selling that very nice Seiko bracelet, as it also fits the Alpinist SARBO17. I paid around £140 a couple of years ago to import a new one from Japan, but I'd have hapily bought a decent second hand one for a bit less! You'd easily sell it on a watch forum.

There is/was a guy on the Wam who worked with watches called Dom. He worked somewhere in the Brighton area iirc. He serviced my wife’s Cartier watch & we were very happy with his work.
Not sure if he’s still on the forum or in the watch business but if he is, I can easily recommend him.

I am a tradesman Chris and they help if your asking for advice.

Tell you what though the watch likely saved me from a broken wrist.

Thanks

Spot on, without the photos you can have no idea of the extent of your mishap

Hope you get sorted

Bloss

That's a very easy repair actually. The hard part will be extracting the broken part. That done, just wind in a new crown.

Aye I'll see what the cost from a repairer is first Steve then I might buy a watch repair kit and buy the crown and pin myself and try to fit them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dproptel-1...ocphy=9046923&hvtargid=pla-519500621727&psc=1

Here's the parts list but you can buy a complete movement for about €150

https://www.horloge.be/watch-manuals/EN/seiko-watch-manual-6r15.pdf

I think this is the winding stem for the 6R15 movement

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=113121642367

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Aw man, that's a bummer. I don't have any experience of using any repair services but apart from the options in the Argyll Arcade, there's Martin's of Glasgow on Maryhill Road, and Jon Vincent Watchmakers in Hamilton. Neither are particularly close to you and having looked through the window of each shop, I don't imagine they're likely to be the cheapest either. But I reckon they'll be the most competent. The cheapest price might be found at The Watch Lab in either Silverburn on Buchanan Galleries as they're pretty much a one-man show as it were.

The option that's probably worth exploring first, however, is to contact Seiko at their service centre in Maidenhead (link) because if nothing else, they should be able to replace it with a genuine Seiko crown. Whatever you end up doing, I wish you good luck as it's a cracking watch and hopefully, it won't cost the earth to get it back up and running.

Why has no-one suggested Seiko service? ISimples. If the watch has decent sentimental value get it repair properly. I have used them more than once in the past, they do a good job as you might imagine. Might even be a fixed price. IIRC they are in Basingstoke.

advertisement

Back